Diploma or Bachlors Degree?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diploma or Bachlors Degree?

I have an associates degree under my belt. I have been working as a graphic designer in a couple different sign shops for about 5 years now. I currently am at FASTSIGNS but I want to go back to school to be able to get into a company to make more money. Is a diploma worth getting after having a lot of experience or is a bachelors degree more where I should aim for. I'll eventually be maxed out on my pay rate soon.

Thank you!

Completing a diploma program won't advance your credentials past those you already have in the eyes of Human Resources, the way it's currently run (in the U.S.). The Bachelor's degree is the milestone. Of course, no amount of education will guarantee you a better paying job.
    I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Hi Rkbigelow and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Of course, no amount of education will guarantee you a better paying job.
        ^ This is a universal truism... no matter what they tell you at college.
        If you already have the Associates and 5 years of Real World experience, you are probably going to be horrified at the level of coursework you will be asked to do in a Bachelor Degree program. Grin and bear it and make the most of it. Make it fun. And make it fun for your inexperienced fellow students.

Be sure you talk to admissions when going for a Bachelors and see just how much credit, both previous college and Life Skills you can transfer. Your job experience is, or should be, worth college credit.
        If you have Core courses you need to take (English, Math, Science) look into do them as intercession, online, night or summer courses. No need to spend whole semesters doing them where you can stack all the courses you need to get that major in GD. If you sort it all out at the beginning, you might be able to get it done in 3 semester's time. If the college will let you. Some have silly requirements regarding how much money you have to spend...er...how much time you have to stay there before they deign to confer on you a degree with their name.
        Last edited by PrintDriver; 12-28-2016, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rkbigelow View Post
          Is a diploma worth getting after having a lot of experience or is a bachelors degree more where I should aim for.
          We have forum members here with many years experience who can testify as to how difficult it is to find a good job without that all-important bachelor's degree. Where I work, for example, no 4-year degree means the job application is rejected by our human resources people before I, the CD, even see it.

Comment

If we were looking for production workers, (we're not, at the moment) and this guy just walked in to fill out an application, he'd possibly get hired after a quick portfolio review, -- if he didn't want to design any more, had some aptitude for signage, and would work in production without feeling sad about not designing any more.
            Designers are a dime a dozen, even with a bachelors.
            It's very hard to find skilled production workers these days. Especially ones somewhat familiar with sign fabrication, hardware and materials.

Not saying there is any pay raise involved though. LOL.
            Not even with a bachelor's degree.

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post
              We have forum members here with many years experience who can testify as to how difficult it is to find a good job without that all-important bachelor's degree. Where I work, for example, no 4-year degree means the job application is rejected by our human resources people before I, the CD, even see it.
              Right.

With nearly 3 decades of experience, a Director's position on my resumé, and a successful consulting business, I should be able to compete for jobs on B's level, but I couldn't even get an interview there for an entry-level design post. A Bachelor's Degree is simply the price of admission.
              I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X