No announcement yet.

Self-assessing GST on stock photo purchases (Canadian designers only)

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Self-assessing GST on stock photo purchases (Canadian designers only)

    I've always self-assessed GST on stock photo purchases that I make online. Is this correct? All of the sites I buy from are American so of course they aren't charge me GST on the purchase. I've tried to navigate Revenue Canada's website but can't seem to find the answer there. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

  • #2
    Hi Peressini and welcome to GDF.

    We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.


    • #3
      Not too many people here are going to be Canada tax experts, even though we have a few Canadian members.
      The quickest and simplest answer is to consult a tax expert directly,, even if it means hanging on the phone for a while.
      It's part of being in business.

      Part of your issue is, are you ''in business'' and where does the line get drawn on what YOU owe for taxes and what does your company owe. Does Canada discern a tax difference between a sole proprietor and a private individual? IOW, do you have to self-assess tax for everything else you buy on the internet that isn't taxed?

      Then there is the part about you selling your work. How does the tax you pay on those images fit into whatever tax you might be charging your client? Perhaps it is your client that should be paying those image taxes...

      Also, you might want to find out if there is some sort of "safe harbor" amount you can pay. The US State where I live wants their sales tax no matter where you buy your taxable stuff, but if you don't want to save all those receipts and sort out what the state thinks is taxable, then you just use the safe harbor calculator on the tax return. Not sure you can do something like that as a ''business'' though...






      Incredible Stock

      Latest Topics


      • Craig B
        Reply to Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
        Craig B
        I think what you described is fairly typical of most jobs. I'm not saying it's identical but I do web design, email design, interactive apps, collateral, booth graphics, signage, posters, advertising,...
        Today, 10:46 AM
      • Colton819
        Reply to Getting a image ready for print
        So I tried doing Pantone colors but obviously they just couldn’t match close enough. The image I posted is actually a vector format I created a raster format then converted to vector in illustrator. I...
        Today, 08:47 AM
      • leaagg
        Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!

        I am a French designer working for a Turkish company (in turkey).
        I am now currently working on my updated portfolio because my main goal is QUIT !! The working conditions in...
        Today, 07:57 AM
      • PrintDriver
        Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
        Do people still use QR codes?
        Two phones ago I downloaded an app just to check that a client's QR code was linking properly when printed. 4 years later now, and that app has never been used again....
        Today, 07:06 AM
      • PrintDriver
        Comment on Getting a image ready for print
        Way too much sharing there, hank..........
        Today, 06:51 AM
      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings