How much should i charge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much should i charge?

I am expirienced graphic designer, working on android and ios app design for local mobile development company. By bosses wanted to try some off work project and i made whole app design mockup with instructions they gave me and I fixed ui and improved ux. I also made logo for splash screen, icon, simple wix web site and screenshots. This was not quick work and i lost a lot of time. This saw off work project and i was doing it in my private time. For this whole project i got $XX, and now the same thing happened, they gave me new project and im supposed to do the same thing. I am sure that $XX is way low for this kind of work and they went with the taught that im good with doing it for the same account of money, but i see now that i should charge more, since it takes a lot of time and i am creating a lot of graphics. They are my daily job bosses and i dont want to have any missunderstanding with them, but i dont know how to bring up problem of the value of my work.

I would like to hear from experienced designers and people that had similar problem.
    Thank you evey much!

you are right and most probably all designer thinks the same.

Comment

Hi Blober and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.

We do not allow pricing discussion on this forum. People will be able to respond with ways you can figure out your own pricing, but no one is allowed to say you should charge X for Y or XX for ABC.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by WiseBusiness View Post
        you are right and most probably all designer thinks the same.

Hi Wise and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

To preface the topic of wanting, actually needing, to charge more for your work, try explaining that the original work you did required a lot more time than you had anticipated. You honoured the quote because it was your mistake, however, moving forward and accounting for what you have learned, you feel (whatever amount you decide) is a fair amount for the work at hand.

Most people will appreciate you being forward with your mistake, they'll probably even be thankful that you adhered to your quote even though it meant losing your shirt. Given that you work with these people consistently and assuming the first project was the first of it's nature with them, it's more than likely that they will show some understanding. Again most people, not all.
          Design is not decoration.

Comment

Unless you are the Red Cross don't get into the charity work pattern. You can eat some time if you're making something you can use, resell or learn from (something new). Clients you'll want to work for will be willing to pay, clients looking for a charity should try a charity. Your pricing can be the filter of sub-optimum "clients".

Comment

Hi Skyscraperfx and welcome to GDF.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

What Kerning said. Basically just tell them what you told us and be honest about it. Also, get a contract this time around. Use the same excuse - that this looks like an ongoing partnership with them and you'd like to formalize it more. A good contract will protect them as much as it protects you.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X