Using your own name as a freelance designer vs using a studio name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using your own name as a freelance designer vs using a studio name

Hello to the good burrito loving people of GDF!

I've recently been freelancing and have 1 good client who keeps me quite busy. However, I'm not really comfortable having all my eggs in one basket, and in anticipation of the day when this client does not have any work for me, I want to start a website, advertise my services, and ultimately gain more clients. Makes sense right? sort of..?

I'm just hoping to get people's views on the pros and cons of using your own name i.e Joe Bloggs VS coming up with a studio name and marketing yourself that way, please?

Cheers, Glitch.

I went with a studio name rather than my personal name. I figured some day I will want to retire and it might be easier to sell a business with its own name, rather than my name. I might be an easier transition if I wasn't synonymous with the business.

Comment

Great question!

Even tho the choice to hire freelancers have become a lot more popular these days, I personally feel, we are still treated like second class citizens in comparison to studios. Clients will take you less seriously than if you were a company. It sucks but itís a fact.

On the flip side... hiring a studio sounds more expensive, and let's face it, most companies choose to hire freelancers so they can to avoid paying pricey "agency fees".

Iíve been freelancing for 15 years. Most of those years I have been using just my name (and itís been fine) but about 3 years ago I changed my business to a studio name. Since then, I also started to collaborate with other freelancer under my company name banner and it has allowed me to go after larger clients with larger budgets. Iím doing less jobs per year but ultimately more money at the end of the day.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!

Some good points, worth considering.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• nomorext
          Hi there, pixels!
          nomorext
          Just saying hi from North Carolina, USA. Moving shortly to Leicestershire UK. Anyone local for tips about finding a job in our field over there?
          Today, 12:54 PM
        • Glitchin
          Reply to 3D view of a logo
          Glitchin
          Google: free logo mockup psd and you will find what you're looking for. If you look around that exact mock up is available for free. I have it myself but I can't think where I got it....
          Today, 12:45 PM
        • B
          Reply to 3D view of a logo
          B
          You could use most any 3D application, but something like this would be easy enough to do in Photoshop.
          Today, 12:39 PM
        • Closer
          3D view of a logo
          Closer
          Hey Guys!

I am looking for the software, to make these awesome presentations of
          logo - designs:

Thanks in advance!
          ~Closer...
          Today, 12:30 PM
        • designzombie
          Reply to How do we interact with Graphic Design communications on an everyday basis?
          designzombie
          Hint: we interact with graphic communications far more often than we interact with graphic design communications.
          Today, 12:23 PM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X