Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Influencing a culture of 'good design' in a 3rd world country

Hi Everyone,

I am a graphic designer based in a third world country in the Caribbean. I always had an avid interest in graphic design while I was younger, although where I lived didn't often have the best examples of good design. Going to university in a different country opened my eyes to better design and I worked to holding the quality of my art and designs to a higher standard. Now that I am back home I want to translate this knowledge in my home country and help to improve the standard of design here. But the people of my country do not see the need for proper design, they would rather use clip art from MS Word or an image from the internet as a logo. I've also heard complaints from other designers here that clients are not open to suggestions for their designs and want to skimp on paying their designer. This results in designs looking like a mess and the graphic designer with ambitions of changing things becomes underutilized.

I've boiled it down to the fact that there isn't a 'culture of good design' in my country. While having great designs might be commonplace in most of your societies, great designs in my country stand out like a sore thumb. As a Caribbean Island, one of our main modes of income is Tourism, and I believe that graphic designers and artists are instrumental in developing a country's visual aesthetic in that regard. I may come off as a bit too critical, but I love my country, and I think it can be more beautiful with my help and the help of all the wonderful designers and artists here.

So my question is, in what ways can I influence a culture of good design in a 3rd world country that doesn't think it's necessary?

Hi Katoo and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
    Working...
    X