Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-legal way to protect my logo

Hi all!

Currently I am working on an iPhone photo editing app that (among other functions) inserts my logo into the right upper corner. The logo itself is more like a watermark with a meaning behind, similar to the "fair trade" logo on coffee products etc. I am searching for a solution to prevent others using my logo, i.e. especially copied apps made in other countries (trademark laws etc.). As I personally do not believe there is an easy and cheap "legal" way I could prevent somebody from another country to use my watermark, I thought there must be other solutions.

I thought one solution might be some mixture between a second, hidden, digital watermark in combination with a unique identifier that could be found on a server or homepage. So that at least one could look up and find that this particular picture containing allegedly "my logo" actually is a fake one, as the unique identifier could not be found on the server/homepage...

There must be an easier solution, could anybody help me here? Maybe anything with the fancy block chain technology?

Many thanks in advance
    n0wb

Hi Design_n0wb and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

< Not a lawyer.
      Are you located in the US or elsewhere?

Stealers are gonna steal. A software key isn't going to slow them up. Especially if they just trace your logo and use it without the key.

Barring any third party software keys, about the only way I know to protect your logo is to trademark it and file any infringement problems either through the DMCA or WIPO, depending on where you are.
      If you don't want to pay the cost, eh...how important is that logo to your business again?

Comment

I'm located in Vienna/Austria and plan to use the app in the US, Western Europe, China and Russia. That's the thing. Trademarks etc won't help me there I believe.

I do believe that if users could check if a logo is fake they would not use the fake one due to reputation loss (similar: I would not but fake fair-trade stuff when I know it's fake). So how could I check for fakeness?

THanks again
        N0wb

Comment

Well, I suppose you could use steganography to embed hidden encrypted data in your file, but I doubt that information would survive a resampling or lossy compression. We're living in a digital age where digital information is always vulnerable to theft, and that unfortunate fact needs to be factored into the business model.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X