Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice On Letting A Company Use My Artwork

Hey guys,

Name's Casey and I'm new to the forum. I need a little advice on something..

So I did a personal a while back and a design company has contacted me expressing interest in using it for an album merchandising bundle for a band here in Texas. The proposal was that they want to use the art for a patch and maybe on a tshirt, but instead of monetary compensation, they want to use it and give me a merch bundle.
    I am a professional designer, so trading for some merch doesn't seem like the best way to go. Even though it was a personal piece, it did take some time to complete. I wouldn't mind selling the rights for this project or maybe to the band itself.
    I'd like some advise on this. What would you do, what would you suggest to them, how would you negotiate this?

Thanks!

You might want to look into licensing rather than selling the rights.

You make up a contract where the band can use your artwork for a specified number of impressions and/or for a specified length of time. Surely, as a professional desgner, you've licensed stock art before. It works the same way with illustrators and their art. Look online at GettyImages or similar for Rights Managed licensing and play with the click selector for calculating royalties (you have to make an account.) The cost of imagery can vary by how many impressions, the circulation area, the time frame of use, the type of use (ie featured or secondary,) etc.

Unless the merchandise has value to you, it's all about making a living. Don't look at it as an opportunity for exposure. Don't frame it on the premise that you'll take money if the band makes a profit on the merchandise. That's their risk.

Be prepared to say "no."

Comment

Hi Cabooth and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by cabooth View Post
        I'd like some advise on this. What would you do, what would you suggest to them, how would you negotiate this?
        They likely have no money they're willing to part with, which explains them proposing a trade for what they do have -- useless band promotional schwag. If it were me, I'd say no to the trade and counter it with a monetary price. I'd expect them to say no, and that would be that. If they surprised me by saying yes, great. If they countered it with a slightly lower monetary offer than my original price, well, maybe I'd consider it.

Comment

So, in order to get paid anything, you have to do a bunch more work to list the items on ebay, wait for them to sell, collect payment from the buyers, then package and ship, and deal with returns and refunds. Don't underestimate how much work that is and how long it will take before you sell everything off.

Comment

• PrintDriver
            PrintDriver commented
            Editing a comment
            Definitely need the ''WHut?'' kitty here.

Edit:
            Oh I get it.
            You shouldn't even be considering that road. Do you really think that a band that can't buy their imagery has ''fans'' are going to want to buy on ebay? How much merchandise do you think they might be willing to trade for the image? A T-shirt? Two maybe? Maybe a CD or two?
            Ya, no. Cash up front. Be prepared to say, ''No.''

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Splashsky
          Advice on simple banking-style design
          Splashsky
          So, for a little background, I'm working on a text-based web game as a passion project. I'm no designer; far from it. I'm working on the banking feature of the game, which as a few features. The banking...
          Today, 12:10 PM
        • PrintDriver
          Comment on QuarkXPress 2017 introduced
          PrintDriver
          Hi wcali, nice rant. A lot of the software companies are forgetting their main purpose in life.
          The Output.
          As a printer, I have been going round and round with Adobe over features they have...
          Today, 08:46 AM
        • Peter3v
          Reply to Logo Design - Font to match and go alongside chosen logo
          Peter3v
          Hey B - If interested people would like to message me on earth2pete@hotmail.com that would be great. Thank you
          Today, 06:52 AM
        • Breanne.C
          Reply to Helloooooo!
          Breanne.C
          Actually, I do have a print related issue if you'd like to take a stab at helping me with. Should I post in the correct category with the issue and picture that goes with it?
          Yesterday, 10:29 PM
        • Breanne.C
          Reply to Font ID Please
          Breanne.C
          Oh yeah.

Catorze27 Style 1 Bold best matched it, for the exception of the M, which I easily was able to fix....
          Yesterday, 10:14 PM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X