Questions about Business Cards, Self Promotion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Business Cards, Self Promotion

So I decided I should develop a business card, partly for freelance promotion, because I feel silly when someone asks for a card and I have nothing, but also perhaps to hand over after a job interview. I have a few ideas that I wanted to put out there for feedback.

1.) I'm not entirely sure what skill(s) I should highlight on my card (Illustration, Graphic Design, Photography). I'm considering making two or even three card variations that emphasize different skills (one that's purely illustration, another that's design/illustration/photography, and perhaps a "multimedia art" card that also references my background in animation and video editing as part of a broad gamut of skills. Perhaps I could setup the print file to have rows of three different cards, then print, trim, and just use whichever one I need for the right occasion.

2.) Would offering my business card at the end of an interview help or hurt my chances? Although it may seem redundant since they have my resume, I would think handing a professional, attractive card to the interviewer would leave a good final impression and help me stand out.

3.) With the development of a card, I'm also considering developing a portfolio introduction and website that would stylistically tie in. Could anyone suggest some good, free options for website development? I have some fundamental understanding of HTML/CSS but have yet to work with WordPress; although, I assume it's not too difficult.

Thank you.

You could easily design a business card that reads, "Design Illustration Photography" or "Designer Illustrator Photographer" under your name. Keep it simple.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Like KitchWitch, I think you could place all those skills on the business card.

Similar to you, though, I have several different skills that I've developed over the years, and depending on the nature of the client, I'll stress those skills that are most relevant to their needs. Consequently, I've had some clients who have primarily seen me as a writer or a photographer, others who think of me as a web developer or interface designer, and others who think I'm an editorial designer or marketing consultant, etc.

Some clients, I've found, assume that people with more than one specialty are unfocused generalists who know a bit about many things but who aren't all that good at anything. Add all this up and, yeah, I can see some reasons to have different business cards to pass out depending on the prospective client involved. The same is true when looking for fulltime work resumes really ought to be customized for the job for which one is applying.

You asked whether or not handing out business cards during an interview would hurt your chances. I don't see any reason why it would. It seems like a good idea unless you're applying for actual employment, in which case it might come across as a little weird. If you're interviewing for freelance work, a business card is almost expected. People tend to keep business cards together in a single location, so having your card put into that pile of contacts could pay off down the road.

As for WordPress being difficult or easy, well, that depends on your level of skill with this sort of thing and whether or not you plan on just buying a theme to use or making custom modifications. Honestly, WordPress isn't my favorite CMS, so I tend to avoid it. For a small portfolio site, I'd rather just design and hand code the thing to my liking, skip the database integration and not have to bother with the limitations of it all. Again, though, it sort of depends on what one feels comfortable with. I do agree, however, that if you're freelancing, a website is an essential component of your marketing strategy even if it's something simple, like Behance. People need to find you online or you just don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post
        You asked whether or not handing out business cards during an interview would hurt your chances. It seems like a good idea unless you're applying for actual employment, in which case it might come across as a little weird.
        Actually, I was referring to applying for employment. I'm kind of mixed on whether or not it would be a good idea, but I think overall, if the card is pretty creative, it could serve as a memorable token. I'm actually considering thematically basing my card off the old Topps trading cards.
        Originally posted by B View Post
        If you're freelancing, a website is an essential component of your marketing strategy even if it's something simple, like Behance.
        Currently, I have a Behance, but I wonder if I should up my game and make my own website. But with that in mind, I wonder, are there are any good free site domains out there? I have some basic HTML/CSS experience, but I've never had my own website and I'm not sure where to start exploring my options.

Comment

From my point of view you should design a simple card, but its necessary that the other people know all your skills, so you need show you are a designer, photographer ...
          If you prefer smarter desing, try your put your name / logo in the side A and the other things and skills in the side B.

Comment

Hi Julietapiz and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Business cards are very important for your business, you should let the experts do the job for you, You dont want sloppy designs.

Comment

• PrintDriver
                PrintDriver commented
                Editing a comment
                The OP is an Illustrator, Graphic Designer and Photographer. I would guess he has the design part covered.

Hi Nuinks and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
              Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Glitchin
                Reply to What kind and which book would it be wise to spend on?
                Glitchin
                Work for money design for love by David Airey and Know Your Onions: Graphic Design by Drew De Soto are good books for freelancers if your just starting out in the industry.

Also Pretty Much...
                Today, 03:55 PM
              • Glitchin
                Comment on Logo Feedback
                Glitchin
                I'm confused. This is one of your designs from your original post right? I meant if you could post an image of the logo the client liked, it might help. "They provided me a Logo they want it...
                Today, 03:24 PM
              • Glitchin
                Reply to Critique Please?
                Glitchin
                This is the latest version. I have thickened the CF and lowered the weight of the sound....
                Today, 02:58 PM
              • Glitchin
                Comment on Critique Please?
                Glitchin
                Hey thanks for the feedback.

I have tried what you're suggesting with shapes rather than lines, but it didn't work for me.

That's the challenge, making it looking like CF whilst...
                Today, 02:54 PM
              • PrintDriver
                Reply to Portfolio usage of work
                PrintDriver
                Nice article B, and illustrates my point about being an LLC or a sole proprietor. The LLC is a business entity separate from your personal life. With sole proprietorship, all of your belongings and assets...
                Today, 12:42 PM
              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X