T-Shirt Design to Logo Fiasco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Shirt Design to Logo Fiasco

So my graphic design team was asked by a church to create a t-shirt design for them. After the design was completed, they paid the correct amount for the design work and the t-shirts, and they were on their way. A couple days pass, and the client calls us. He asks us for the PDF version of the t-shirt design so he can use it as a logo for his ministry. Originally, we would have sold this logo, but seeing as we have already completed the work, we are unsure on how to price it now. Suggestions?
    Last edited by KitchWitch; 07-31-2017, 09:03 AM. Reason: removed price

If it were me, I'd refer back to the contract to determine exactly what deliverables were purchased. Depending on my relationship with the client, I'd either try to renegotiate a fee for the extra deliverables or just give it to them.

Comment

Unfortunately, we had no contract. We are a small team, this may be our wake up call to start using contracts. The unspoken contract was a design to be used as the youth ministries' t-shirt, nothing more.

Comment

Contracts are a nuisance, but they provide an agreed-upon understanding to refer to when misunderstandings arise. They also provide legal protection for both parties in case something goes wrong.

In this particular case, since there's not really a legal dispute, it comes down to a misunderstanding on the value of your work. Your client likely sees it as a trivial favor that's being asked since the work's already largely done. You, of course, are seeing it as being asked for free stuff.

A contract might have made asking for more money a bit easier since it would have listed the t-shirt design as the sole deliverable, along with spelling out whatever usage rights the client purchased. Since you don't have that written out in a signed document, you probably just need to make a decision on whether or not you want to give your work away or negotiate a fee to cover the request.

If it were me, I'd probably just hand over the PDF with a minimal preparation fee if I didn't want to jeopardize the relationship. However, if this were a one-time client in which I had little personal investment, I'd likely insist on a more substantial additional fee.

Comment

Hi Michaeljiles and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X