Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design Logo for a City Tour company - Client does's know where to focus

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and, obviously, I am seeking advice as I also am new to the business.

My Client is a City Tour Company in one of the cities of Europe (doesn't have a name yet). He hired me to design a logo for his new business. Of course, he is not paying much and requires world-class artwork (which I am trying to deliver for the sake of learning). My problem is that, after the initial conversation with him he claims that he knows what is his main focus, but I think otherwise as he indicated the following words as the main keywords that should be associated with his business: smile/joy, traditional and modern, good fun, reliability, folk, golf cart tours, people, tours. He wants to somehow incorporate all these "images" into one logomark, which is supposed to "resemble Nike or Adidas with its form "(his words). I know what he means by that sentence (simplicity), but either it's not possible to incorporate all of the above keywords into one sign, or I need to look elsewhere for employment

My questions is: could you please give me a piece of advice to sift through those ideas? I found myself carried out away by juxtaposing different variations of the above images. I feel more lost with each new iteration.

Hi Madzik and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

You are trying to develop a logo, yet your client does not have a name for the business?

Part of your learning process should be learning when to walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by Madzik View Post
        My problem is that, after the initial conversation with him he claims that he knows what is his main focus, but I think otherwise as he indicated the following words as the main keywords that should be associated with his business: smile/joy, traditional and modern, good fun, reliability, folk, golf cart tours, people, tours.
        Since you used Nike as an example, Nike's logo suggests speed, wind, running, svelteness, motion, the swoosh the wind makes, etc., and it does all this without having imagery of any of these things. Instead, in the context of a sportswear company, the logo is simply suggestive of these qualities.

Could it be that you're taking this keyword thing too literally, and that the logo should, instead, just be suggestive (or at least compatible) with the keyword qualities? Or did this client specifically say an image of each was required in the logo? If so, it'll be an awfully stupid-looking and cluttered logo.

On another note, clients who "can't pay much," who are just starting up businesses, and who seem to have iffy things missing from their business plans (like a name for their business) are clients I check, double check and triple check before proceeding (unless they pay in advance). More often than not, they have a history of failed ventures, bad ideas, empty bank accounts, and a tendency to not pay their bills. And if this weren't enough, these kinds of clients are typically the most picky about micromanaging the project into a failure.

I'm not saying this client is like that, but from what you've written, the warning signs are there. As PD just mentioned, one of the most valuable skills a freelancer needs to develop is the gut instinct that warns one when to walk away.

Comment

Also keep in mind that the Nike and Adidas logos evolved into their current look. They were not magically produced as-is and were not instantly two of the most recognizable logos today. Logos grow, just like businesses.

Interestingly, I just read that the Nike swoosh was conceptualized by graphic design student Carolyn Davidson in 1971. She was only paid $35 for the rights to use it.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• B
            B commented
            Editing a comment
            I read somewhere that several years down the road the president of Nike presented her with a few hundred shares in the company that have since turned into a fairly sizable fortune.

• KitchWitch
            KitchWitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Ooh, nice!

Doesn't the client wants to have his business name in the logo? Ask him to give you some idea of how he wants the logo to look like. A artistic city bus would be nice to work with.

Comment

Hi Faye and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I've always seen the Nike Swoosh as the toe of a shoe.

Comment

[QUOTE}

Could it be that you're taking this keyword thing too literally, and that the logo should, instead, just be suggestive (or at least compatible) with the keyword qualities? Or did this client specifically say an image of each was required in the logo? If so, it'll be an awfully stupid-looking and cluttered logo.[/QUOTE]

I believe that I understand metaphors and can create a metaphorical sign, a symbol, once I know where to focus. The problem is that my Client wants to have all these meaning in one extremely simple sign and he is not good at reading metaphors :P Anyway, I should design it for the audience, not for the Client.

On another note, clients who "can't pay much," who are just starting up businesses, and who seem to have iffy things missing from their business plans (like a name for their business) are clients I check, double check and triple check before proceeding (unless they pay in advance). More often than not, they have a history of failed ventures, bad ideas, empty bank accounts, and a tendency to not pay their bills. And if this weren't enough, these kinds of clients are typically the most picky about micromanaging the project into a failure.

I'm not saying this client is like that, but from what you've written, the warning signs are there. As PD just mentioned, one of the most valuable skills a freelancer needs to develop is the gut instinct that warns one when to walk away.
                You are 100% right. But this is an awful dillema: not take the job and lose chance at earning money, or take a job and go through hell with the Client as your guide :P

Comment

Thank you all for trying to help me. Especially B for the advice about the Clients. You are 100% right in what you are saying. But there's this dilemma that all beginner designers (or freelancers in egeneral) must stand in front: refuse to work for the Client and lose money, or decide to go through hell with your Client as aguide but in return you might get paid and you will definitely earn something invaluable: experience.

I have created a moodboard with I think the logo should look like (on purpose, I did not put any logo designs in there, as my Client is highly prone to suggestions) and sent it to him. We'll see what he responds.

And @B .... so good to hear that the Nike Designer got something more than 35 bucks

Comment

Originally posted by Madzik View Post
                    Anyway, I should design it for the audience, not for the Client.
                    Yes, but first the client needs to be convinced of that truism.

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post

Yes, but first the client needs to be convinced of that truism.
                      That should not be heard. As I said, he's really prone to suggestions

Comment

Take all the things he wants, create for every single one a different and specific color. Colorize the word. Maybe you can include some objects into the logo. Check some of the other big cities. They may help you.

Comment

• PrintDriver
                          PrintDriver commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Are you suggesting a logo with more than 4 spot colors???
                          As a printer, I will love you if you do this. I charge $$ per color match!

The client, on the other hand, might wonder about your experience level after getting smacked with that charge a few times......

Hi Maxgardner and welcome to GDF.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Breanne.C
                          Helloooooo!
                          Breanne.C
                          Hey everyone! My name is Breanne. I didn't realize there was an introduction spot until after I tried making my first post to identify a font. Ooopsie!

I'm from the Seattle area, a freelance...
                          Today, 05:31 PM
                        • Breanne.C
                          Font ID Please
                          Breanne.C
                          Hey folks! I need help identifying the font in this logo, just the text "Fire Medic." Can anyone help ID it?

Today, 03:56 PM
                        • chikisg84
                          Comment on Need feedback on best way to start redesigning my portfiolio website
                          chikisg84
                          Thank you so much for your input. What you said about Joomla templates basically dictating the look and feel of the site is basically the reason I've held so long to my current site. I have not found...
                          Today, 03:32 PM
                        • Biggs097
                          Reply to Price of Foil vs. Varnish for business cards?
                          Biggs097
                          Keep in mind the cost of the tooling the dye is a one time cost. The next lot of cards wont include the tooling cost.
                          StudioMonkey is also correct of the cost vs. your volume. 100 cards may run...
                          Today, 02:42 PM
                        • B
                          Reply to Need feedback on best way to start redesigning my portfiolio website
                          B
                          Joomla is my CMS of choice. For that matter, I'm working on some template modifications for a Joomla site this morning.

For a small personal site, Joomla might be overkill. It's certainly...
                          Today, 02:11 PM
                        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                        Working...
                        X