Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Logo, etc Design Company

Hi everyone,

The following link goes to a survey I have created in order to collect research concerning a new graphic design business. I would hugely appreciate any responses and I ask that you are honest with your answers. If you have anything else to say that you think I should know please post below.

Thank you!

https://freeonlinesurveys.com/s/Zn14hQlX
    Last edited by KitchWitch; 01-02-2018, 08:31 AM. Reason: fixed link

If that link does not go straight to the survey try this one. Thanks again!

Comment

Just reading through your survey....
      Yeah...........

Jpg and png files are NOT logo formats and if that is what you are selling, I wouldn't pay you 2 cents for them.

Have fun with that.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
        Just reading through your survey....
        Yeah...........

Jpg and png files are NOT logo formats and if that is what you are selling, I wouldn't pay you 2 cents for them.

Have fun with that.

Sorry about that I just realised my mistake I would appreciate it if you assumed they were AI or EPS. Thanks!

Comment

Your survey is asking designers how much they would pay for various design services? As a designer myself, I have no reason to pay anything for what I can do myself.

Even if you are meaning to ask how much we would charge, your highest price options are still too low for all but beginning freelancers. For example, you listed £50 for a flyer as the highest option. Forum rules don't allow us to discuss exact prices, but I wouldn't even consider a flyer for that amount unless it was a small component in a much larger job.

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post
            Your survey is asking designers how much they would pay for various design services? As a designer myself, I have no reason to pay anything for what I can do myself.

Even if you are meaning to ask how much we would charge, your highest price options are still too low for all but beginning freelancers. For example, you listed £50 for a flyer as the highest option. Forum rules don't allow us to discuss exact prices, but I wouldn't even consider a flyer for that amount unless it was a small component in a much larger job.

I think it displayed incorrectly - please feel free to try again as it should say much more than that. I am asking for a graphic designer's perspective on how much clients will tend to pay - not anything specific. I am asking not so that I can set prices but so that I can set timescales and focus on a certain quality of product. e.g. if many would pay £300+ for logos I will spend a certain amount of time and market a certain quality.

Thank you for your feedback and I would appreciate it if you could fill out my survey if you have not done so already.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward_ View Post
              if many would pay £300+ for logos I will spend a certain amount of time and market a certain quality.
              You'd still be undercharging unless you're okay with living in near poverty or have a constant stream of back-to-back work coming in. I can't answer most of your questions accurately, because pricing is rarely that straight-forward for me. Jobs almost always involve a combination of factors and related projects that, when added together, affects the total price. I tend to stay away from one-off jobs, like a simple logo design, because too much time is wasted gearing up for it when I could be spending that time on larger and longer projects with a more reliable cash flow.

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post

You'd still be undercharging unless you're okay with living in near poverty or have a constant stream of back-to-back work coming in. I can't answer most of your questions accurately, because pricing is rarely that straight-forward for me. Jobs almost always involve a combination of factors and related projects that, when added together, affects the total price. I tend to stay away from one-off jobs, like a simple logo design, because too much time is wasted gearing up for it when I could be spending that time on larger and longer projects with a more reliable cash flow.
                What I am asking for is an estimate of an average. However, I really do find your comments helpful. Feel free to miss out any sections you don't think you can answer properly. Also, I have no experience in pricing my designs so that would explain my incompetence. (I have plenty of experience with logos although admittedly less experience when it comes to flyers, etc.).
                I will adjust time frames not price - of course price depends entirely on the complexity of a project, etc.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Edward and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                  Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

You are missing the point.
                    And fishing for answers.
                    You really want a bunch of strangers on the internet to come up with brainstormed ideas for the name of your business? If this forum was what it once was a few years ago, I'm sure you'd have gotten some right clever, if unusable, ideas. LOL.

Freelancing is a business, usually entered into when one already has the chops and the industry contacts to do the job without the support of a company behind them. Having your own branding package, your pricing structure and knowing what's what in file formats are only a very small portion of having the chops.

A logo is one of the most important business decisions a designerís client would be making and it is imperative that the designer know what they are doing and, more importantly, why they are doing it. There's far more behind a logo than the pretty picture.

Itís really too bad graphic designers donít have to buy malpractice insurance or become licensed (that boat sailed about 20 years ago.) There arenít too many career paths out there that let everyone practice on real live clients in a professional capacity without any vetting at all. Especially where the end clients may have huge stakes, such as the success of their business, based on the skill of the practitioner.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• StudioMonkey
                      Reply to Bleed problem! Image to the edge
                      StudioMonkey
                      It is quite impossible to cut a stack of paper exactly on the trim marks. Apart from the accuracy of the cut, which can be problematic, there are other factors;

- if printed on a digital...
                      Today, 06:32 AM
                    • StudioMonkey
                      Comment on Help Creating Textures In Illustrator
                      StudioMonkey
                      This is how I do it too - take a few quick photos of interesting surfaces while you're out and about and then play around with them in PhotoShop. Once you've done a few like this you get a better idea...
                      Today, 06:13 AM
                    • StudioMonkey
                      Reply to Vistaprint debacle
                      StudioMonkey
                      Wow
                      Today, 06:06 AM
                    • kaila58
                      Reply to Portfolio critique
                      kaila58
                      Good point, but in my opinion it's distracting in a portfolio and lacks attention to detail when displaying work.
                      Yesterday, 11:30 PM
                    • PrintDriver
                      Reply to Portfolio critique
                      PrintDriver
                      Ha, I noticed the printing and registration marks and thought it refreshing to see a designer who knows to include them....
                      Yesterday, 10:00 PM
                    GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X