Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic project process flow

Hi all!
    Basically I wanted you guys to confirm/correct or give me a flow of processes for a project and tell me whether this basic process can be applied for all creative projects. Using the example of the commissioning of a business logo piece like this I see it going like this

1. Brief sent out to and received back from client.

2. 1st draft completed and sent to client

3. Three reworkings or new designs completed. (I'm aware this varies dependant on designer preference)

4. Client decides on a design

5. Invoice sent out to client.

5. Upon receipt of payment I release the files to them.

Am I right in assuming that things like who owns the logo, time scale of delivery, and amount of reworkings/redesigns should all be detailed in a contract? Meaning that the contract is VERY important? Are there any GD contract templates available?

If for instance I was commissioned to design business stationary (including logo) I understand the client has 2 choices. Contact me when more letter headed paper, business cards, compliment slips etc are needed OR buying the files from me for a release fee, is this correct?

Sorry if this sounds basic or confused just rebuilding from bottom up want to get it right!

Cheers
    Chandler: You know what's weird? Donald Duck never wore pants. But whenever he's getting out of the shower, he always puts a towel around his waist. I mean.......whaaaaaat is that about?

You forgot the contract bit. That could come after step 1 so that you know what the job entails.

In the ideal world, you hand out files only when you receive full payment. However, many companies pay invoices at the end/start of the month. Does that mean that if someone wants an ad done for next Monday, but their accounts people only pay accounts at the end of the month, you will wait into the account is paid before handing it over?
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Hi Sticky,

Yup. You need the contract. It's essential.

Cuious, how do you "screen" for clients to begin with.

You really need an idea or process that includes whether the client is even worth working with.

It will save you tons of frustration. I guarantee it.

Best,

Doug

www.thedesignersinnercirclereport.com

Comment

Cheers guys!
        Well as it stands I've not currently launched or publicised my services as yet. So there is no screening taking place. I just wanted to make sure I have a set of checkpoints in place to add some structure to each job when they start coming in (fingers crossed!)

The process of deciding if its worth taking on a job is a point Ive been researching as part of the whole (shhhhhhh setting my rates issue).

Thanks DougFa I will now incorporate that into the process.

Any other crucial checkpoints I should be addressing or issues to be implemented into the general process?

Thx Sticky
        Chandler: You know what's weird? Donald Duck never wore pants. But whenever he's getting out of the shower, he always puts a towel around his waist. I mean.......whaaaaaat is that about?

Comment

Originally posted by Sticky
          Basically I wanted you guys to confirm/correct or give me a flow of processes for a project and tell me whether this basic process can be applied for all creative projects.
          Neil has a great article on BoDo dealing with process - http://www.businessofdesignonline.co...h-the-process/

It's a part of the Designers Working With series -- http://www.businessofdesignonline.co...-working-with/

Originally posted by Sticky
          Am I right in assuming that things like who owns the logo, time scale of delivery, and amount of reworkings/redesigns should all be detailed in a contract? Meaning that the contract is VERY important? Are there any GD contract templates available?
          Yes, your contract is VERY important and should have the detail needed for each project. Some contracts might need to be brief, others not so much. It all depends on the project.

For contract templates, just google to find a range that fits your need. Important: have your legal people look it over before using any contract with a client.

Or if you like, contact me and I'll share mine (although they can be quite lengthly).

Good luck.
          Last edited by thecat@; 06-12-2007, 08:51 AM.
          thecat@
          NO!SPEC
          Creative Latitude
          Designers who Blog

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
          Working...
          X