Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    PrintDriver
    Presto, I'm curious where you purchased the dragon art.
    Was it here:
    http://www.123rf.com/photo_649283_bl...yang-sign.html

Skribe, what do you think the chances are that your...
    Today, 07:37 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Logo design for Game Developer
    kemingMatters
    Presto, it is forum policy not to discuss pricing. Pricing can vary depending on where you are located and the experience of the person you ask. One way to pay what you consider is a fair price is to...
    Today, 07:10 PM
  • KitchWitch
    KitchWitch
    In addition to pricing discussions being against the forum rules, there's no way to answer that. Pricing varies from designer to designer and region to region. We have a classified section where you can...
    Today, 07:09 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Opinions needed.
    kemingMatters
    No problem, I just wanted to clear the water as for some reason most people think that any image created on a computer is graphic design. Graphic design is deliberately communicating a universal message...
    Today, 06:53 PM
  • PrestoArts
    PrestoArts
    Good point by you! I will try myself. How much would it cost to have someone designs it for me if I can't pull it off myself? Ball park ... Or is there a place I can get bids to do the design?
    Today, 06:53 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self employed? What's your title?

So I run a sole proprietorship writing/design business...and I'm redoing my business cards. My last design/card was just my name with "writing and design" after it...now I have registered a fictitious name and want to use it and list my name on the card with a title...not that I have formed an LLC and started hiring yet, but in the future I may want to and wanted to start to change my image.

So...for those of you who use a fictitious business name and have given yourself a title on your biz card...what is it?

Principal
    Owner
    President
    CEO

I don't know what I technically should consider myself. I have "Principal/Owner" on there now, but don't they really mean the same thing? Should I pick one? Or something else altogether? Are there any legal/business issues involved I might be missing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Supreme Exhalted Ruler of the Universe.

Actually it's owner the later would definitely be more interesting though. What do you mean when you say ficticious company? Just curious.
    How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

It's a real company...just a fictitious name. :-) Meaning anyone can start a business using their own name with no special permission - but if you want to have a made-up name (mine is "Both is Better"), you need to register it with your state, make sure no one else already has it, etc in order to use the name in commerce and get a checking account in that name, that sort of thing. Where I live (Pennsylvania) they call it a fictitious name.

Comment

I wouldnt put a title on it at all. Just a description of the business. If your handing the person the card, then you've probably already introduced yourself and have explained what you do.

My card is basically as follows:

Dieselshack (my business name)
        Graphic art, Web Design & Illustration

my name
        cell number
        email
        www.dieselshack.com

of course it looks prettier than this lol.
        http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...id=47773110794

Comment

There was a business card around here somewhere that had "Head Honcho" as the title for a 1 man operation. Thought it was cute.
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Mine says owner/ designer below my name. Seemed more professional than BMFIC.

Dave

Comment

I'm "the art guy".
              CNIC - noun [see - nick]
              1. An American "nick" name for me to use on the GDF.
              2. Designer, Developer, Carpenter, Painter, Sexy... just plain sexy.
              3. One that does not like green eggs and ham. Seriously, I have very strict breakfast rules.
              For more on CNIC, see the unabridged collegiate dictionary. Or call the President.

Comment

"Graphic Designer"
                Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

There was a business card around here somewhere that had "Head Honcho" as the title for a 1 man operation. Thought it was cute.
                  A guy I played with in the jazz band in college has a b-card of (he is a nuke-e):

Tim ______, Jazz Trombonist

I do Nuclear engineering on the side too

Comment

Designer

That way they know i do the design work. and should they happen to pass it on, that person will know that i am a designer and not just a Principal/CEO whatnot.

but that is me.
                    Dribbble Page
                    Behance Portfolio
                    Linkedin Profile

Comment

thanks for the feedback. i think it does make sense to put something more descriptive than just "owner"...especially, as you said bjmr, if it gets passed along without my introduction...

i'm going with writer | designer | owner...hopefully not too long, but it fits nicely on the card so i'm running with it!

Comment

My title: Engineer of Creative Identity

My favorite has always been that of a friend: Art Dictator

- J.
                        Jeff Fisher | Engineer of Creative Identity
                        Jeff Fisher LogoMotives | Twoot! Twoot!

Comment

Originally posted by theotherrachel
                          So I run a sole proprietorship writing/design business...and I'm redoing my business cards. My last design/card was just my name with "writing and design" after it...now I have registered a fictitious name and want to use it and list my name on the card with a title...not that I have formed an LLC and started hiring yet, but in the future I may want to and wanted to start to change my image.

So...for those of you who use a fictitious business name and have given yourself a title on your biz card...what is it?

Principal
                          Owner
                          President
                          CEO

I don't know what I technically should consider myself. I have "Principal/Owner" on there now, but don't they really mean the same thing? Should I pick one? Or something else altogether? Are there any legal/business issues involved I might be missing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
                          I really think it is personal preference. All the above are fine. However, I use principal. I think it is a bit less threatening (and pompous) than CEO or Owner as it sort of positions you differently. This might set up a type pf physchological resistance.

When enterining into an initial relationship you want as little resistance as possible.

In a few other ventures I am involved with I now do not even use a title and if they ask I say something like Business Development which (in my opinion) is a bit less threatening.

All the best,

Doug

Comment

When I see principal, I think of the principal of a school. Is it just me?

Comment

Not just you Balou, I've never seen principal used on a business card out of school context. It would confuse me.

Principal doesn't tell me (our your client) what you actually do.
                              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X