Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to Design Assignment
    <b>
    I took a chance and downloaded the PDF.

Anyway, what do you mean about mimicking a design? What design are you trying to mimic?

As for a grid, yeah, I can see that you've...
    Today, 04:34 PM
  • grphxdsner
    Comment on Question about printing PDF and matching color
    grphxdsner
    You and I both think it's odd... and to be honest its from a very large well known ad agency so it is even more surprising.

I am not the printer. I am a designer and I am leading the design...
    Today, 04:32 PM
  • chr2014
    Reply to Paint Shop Pro 5
    chr2014
    Thanks Cosmo...

I downloaded the file but it put utilities on my computer that I had to delete.

It would be nice if you could just download the paint program without having unwanted...
    Today, 04:21 PM
  • mikelamar
    Reply to Changing color mode InDesign
    mikelamar
    And how I do that? Please enlighten me !!!
    Today, 04:19 PM
  • <b>
    Comment on Advice for logo
    <b>
    In a typeface design, little quirks in the glyphs are typically repeated throughout the entire character set. Isolate one glyph from the font, however, and a small quirk can look like a mistake since...
    Today, 04:19 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freelance Designer Name Help

Hey guys,

I'm a freelance designer from the good old north, and by that I of course mean Canada. I'm just finishing my third year of university, and am looking for work while trying to get my foot in the door to get some more freelance work.
    I'm currently debating what name I should use for my design services.

Right now it's between

Carson Shold Design (it's true and tested, but maybe a little plain)

and

designed by carson (a little more impersonal, which could work as I'm not targeting large firms just yet)

I'd love to hear your thoughts, and even some suggestions if you have any. Check out my portfolio to get a sense of what kind of work I do, the link is in my signature, and feel free to look me up on Facebook and Twitter.

Thanks in advance,

Carson Shold
    http://www.carsonshold.com

Designed by __________ is way over used.

Comment

Keep a notepad handy in your pocket and for the next two weeks pay extra close attention to what phrases or words really stick in your head when you read/hear them. Once you set your brain the text of coming up with something like this, it's best to put the processor in 'background mode' and wait and see as it can be really tricky trying to 'force' this stuff out.

After a while you will develop a new mental skill of 'listening to your inner listener' -- it's a very subtle, but very valuable skill to cultivate as much as you can.

(Eg? This morning I picked up 'Fetal Position' from this forum. What a potentially powerful combination of just two words. Into my notebook it went! [actually, my Nintendo DS notebook, that's another story])

Comment

I'd love a designer to have a name which didn't involve the following:-
        create, design/s/ed, studio/s.
        BUT which wasn't so totally out there you had no idea what it was about- 'curious echo'. If I could come up with such a name, I would have it for me.
        It's a tough one though, because you want to be able to say what you do...Broacher has good ideas.

Comment

Sometimes a single word -- and I agree that too many people approach naming with the wrong approach. Literal and descriptive? No. Evocative and engaging? Yes. In fact, I would strongly resist in using the word 'design' in the name at all. Let's face it-- it's because primarily, it's now just another branding term. Now when manufacturers run out of descriptive names for new models they just tack on 'designer' to it, and they're done (after paying lots of bucks to big branding firms first, of course).

Would you rather use a 'Blackberry' or a 'Blueberry'? It took a couple of years and many millions of dollars for the naming professionals to resolve a question like that.

Now some random freebies from my lists:

Un-imaginable

Casual Sects

Litmus

Own Devices

Square Roots

Between Breaths

There There There

Dead Moose on Table

Toybox

Apparently

Attention Shoppers [happens to be the name of the quartet I'm in now]

All Those In Favour

Cocksure

Thumb Rules

Cromulent Works

Stick

Calm Clam Studios

Blast

Beauty in a Wicked World

The Left-Right Center

Holy Mola [as in the giant ocean sunfish]

Involuntary Shudder

Not Pretty {for personal reasons, I really like that one for a design company name!}

Ejecta

Concentrated Ambience

Gradient Shift

Shakin' it Twice

Uncut

Cognitive Bias

Corm

Ninety-Nine Bottles

Sway

Big Dork Studios

Magnitude

Stop Learning

Nuked Coffee

Comment

great comments guys. i was kind of hoping to somehow incorporate my name as i'm just starting out, but now that i think about it getting a brand recognized is just as good, if not better, than a name. unfortunately "carsonified" is already taken, which i recommend you guys check out.

Not Pretty - fantastic name Broacher! I may have to use that idea when coming up with something to call my self!

Thanks again
            http://www.carsonshold.com

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher View Post

Oh wow, I hear they have a website where you could win like $50 for some of those, Broacher!
              "The 20th Century is the shudder that announces the approaching cataracts of time over which our species and the destiny of this planet is about to be swept." -Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher View Post
                some of those evoked a very strong 'damn, i wish i thought of that' reaction in me

Comment

Cognitive Bias and Ejecta caught my eye

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

I have been having the same problem. With my name being Lillian Starr there are numerous directions I could take and I have sketched and written down every possible combination for my name (with and with out the use of 'designs' and 'graphics), I even tried my middle name in there too !!! Finally I settled on using my surname in Gaelic, R&#233;alta (rail-ta). Dunno if I still completely happy with it but hey it's a work in progress.

Maybe try something along those lines ... might work

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

'If we want to be taken seriously as pirates, we need a proper metal boat ... None of this wooden crap'

Comment

I'm having the same problem, too. So far I'm stuck on <name> Creative Designs. Which falls into two of the taboo names mentioned here. Others I've thought of already have domains taken, as I'm also testing that as I come up with other ideas. I need something soon though.
                      "It's not that I don't want to trust people. It's that they give me reasons not to." ~ Me

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X