Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Client steals artwork, then pays me. Now what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Steals your bike*

Oh btw here is 50 bucks. Thanks for the bike.

Comment

Riefnu has a good point! What if you decide that that particular graphic is worth three million dollars, and the cheque of $XX doesn't cover the value of the image? Particularly as you had planned to use it for your own promotions and are now put off doing so. The more I think about it, the more this guy is a creep trying to buy his way out of a legal snafu. Up to you if you let him. Might not be worth your time to chase it up, i guess it depends how much it's ticked you off.

Comment

Is there a way to find out where he's having the printing done? Might be worth a phone call to let them know the story. You have the website with the original art to prove your story and who wants to work with a shmuck?

Comment

This just happened on Friday when I got the check, so I haven't cashed it yet. Right now I think I am leaning towards keeping the money, but educating him that it wasn't the correct way to do business. "A bird in hand," you know. I'm still going to use it for self-promotion, there's not much he can do about that.

Just, how to structure the contract? Give him the rights to use the image as his logo, while keeping the rights to use the image elsewhere? Is there any precedent or examples of this? I think it was foolish on his part. I would have sold him a completely original logo for the same price.

Comment

He paid you to use the logo but never bought the rights to it as far as I'm concerned seeing as there is no contract - I would think of it in terms of photography or software - he simply bought a non-exclusive image license to use your work - similar to buying from a stock site.
            Tumblr Blog Thing

Comment

The suggestion to extend clipart-style rights may work in this case. How about a letter like this?

---------
              Dear client: I'm happy that you like the artwork and sent payment promptly. However, for various reasons I cannot offer a complete transfer of copyright on this particular image. I have included a contract granting specific and non-exclusive rights to use the image for your organization. Upon receipt of this signed contract I will accept your payment and we can move forward. I appreciate your attention to this matter, and I look forward to working with you again in the future.
              ---------
              I think I'll include language restricting him from selling merchandise on a wide scale, if that's possible. It's actually a small organization so I don't anticipate that anyway. Probably just in-house stuff.

Comment

that sounds pretty good to me. if he has a problem with it then send him back his check and tell him to pull all his merch with you work on it he got himself into this situation so he is at your mercy.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

I still can't believe that he printed the low res art work. He didn't even get the good stuff... :rollseyes:
                  Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

The client signed and returned the contract within an hour. Hurray! Incidentally, I discovered an excellent how-to for adding a digital signature to PDF documents:

http://www.pdfforlawyers.com/digital_signatures/

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Comment

It's a funny situation but I'm glad it worked out ok for you.
                      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I'm glad that worked out. Cool!

Comment

It's his loss for two reasons:

1) He paid you in full without both of you signing a contract giving him rights to the image. Therefore, you still own the copyright on the image and may do whatever you want with it, including making your own stickers. I'm sure you still have the raw layered files, and can therefore prove that the image is yours. "If it ain't on paper, it ain't so", my dad used to say.

2) He probably grabbed the image off your website, which couldn't have been more than screen resolution. It might not look too bad on the merch, but he could have had access to the raw (high-res/vector) artwork for better results.

Take the money and run!

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• StudioMonkey
                            Reply to Price of Foil vs. Varnish for business cards?
                            StudioMonkey
                            Neither Foil nor Varnish are done on a digital press - you would have to get your Business Cards printed Litho. For 100 cards this is always going to be expensive - you could probably get 2000 cards...
                            Today, 09:38 AM
                          • natalya.jpg
                            What do you think about my new web site?
                            natalya.jpg
                            What do you think about my new web site?

[COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]Hello everybody![/COLOR]

I've just made my new website for the great opera singer. What do you think?...
                            Today, 03:16 AM
                          • mishulikes
                            Reply to The right typography
                            mishulikes
                            With body text, one tends to want use a simple serif for easier reading. Like B and PrintDriver have said, who is reading the magazine and even the genre of the content will dictate the typeface. I used...
                            Today, 01:13 AM
                          • mishulikes
                            Reply to Please critique my jazz poster
                            mishulikes
                            Coloring can make or break a piece. Jazz tends to be a moody, soulful music. The lime green does not fit that moody feel and it might have been better if you pushed you color scheme a bit further to add...
                            Today, 12:59 AM
                          • mishulikes
                            Reply to Hello All!
                            mishulikes
                            Thank you, KitchWitch!
                            Today, 12:13 AM
                          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                          Working...
                          X