Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google 'spec work'

As in, 'everyone else does it, why can't we?'

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/15/bu...illo.html?_r=1

I shall boycott Google Chrome - methinks.

Cheek of them.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

wow....good thing I don't use chrome. I'd feel dirty if I did. And not in that good way that I like.
      Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
      | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
      | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

Wow... just wow. For me it's not that they are asking for it for free. It's their response of 'if you don't do it we will find other people who will' that leaves a bad taste for me.

Poor google...
        Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

at least they didn't just use stuff they google image searched that is pretty beat but it's good to hear that some people declined. unfortunately there will always be someone that'll do it for the exposure. sounds like an art students wet dream honestly

Originally posted by CkretAjint View Post
          Wow... just wow. For me it's not that they are asking for it for free. It's their response of 'if you don't do it we will find other people who will' that leaves a bad taste for me.
          same here ckret

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

There is always someone willing to work for free. that doesn't make it ok, or appropriate for a company to take on those that will work for free.
            Boo to Google, they FAIL for sure!
            I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

I just uninstalled. There is a feeback questionaire when finished uninstalling and a section to put additional feedback.

I told them why I uninstalled it and it won't installed again.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

I don't use chrome either, and now I never will. Bogus google.
                “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

If I was an illustrator for a magazine or newspaper, I'd have started looking at career enhancement at least 3 years ago...

It's the wave of the future kiddies. I don't see it stopping but I do see it getting worse.
                  It'll be interesting to see if there is a backlash against the artists who do contribute.
                  Doubtful.

Comment

This isn't "spec work", but it's certainly wrong.

I'm also glad that I don't use Chrome. I would feel dirty using it now, too. I almost feel dirty just using the Google search engine after hearing this.
                    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                    mediamainline.com
                    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I liked :
                      “I have done gift cards for Target that are in stores nationwide and animations for Nickelodeon that run 24 hours a day worldwide on cable TV,” Melinda Beck, an illustrator who is based in Brooklyn, wrote in an e-mail message to Google rejecting its offer. “Both of these jobs were high-profile and gave my work great exposure but both clients still paid me.”
                      Exposure alone isn't enough to feed artists. Why don't people get that?
                      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Which people? The 'clients' or the artists?

Comment

^exactly. LOL.

Comment

^ +1. LOL

They already opened the gates by providing "designer" skins for the google.com/ig pages.
                            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

If their going to feed beast they should at least be paying the people that provide the designs. That is ridiculous, but its the wave of the internet.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X