Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    PrintDriver
    Which group of millennials are you targeting? Because not all millennials are the same. I posted an article here recently where the author had identified 5 subgroups of millennials and targeting for each...
    Today, 11:13 AM
  • Red Kittie Kat
    Reply to What font is this?
    Red Kittie Kat
    Looks like Berling LTStd Bold... with a funky T. It's either been altered or from a different font.
    Today, 08:44 AM
  • Judy Smith
    Reply to The ad I posted in classifieds was not posted
    Judy Smith
    On the post, I had linked to a thread on this forum, wherein someone advised me to post the term "volunteer" in the subject line of the classifieds section....
    Today, 03:33 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to First Time App Project Advice Needed
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF dude

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 02:17 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    BillyLogan
    Absolutely better. Just make sure the tag line's readable if you ever print it....
    Today, 01:47 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Re-vision and guidance...

Hey everyone.. I really don't know where to turn to get advice on this matter, I really hope one of you can shed some light on what to do. I'll have to start at the beginning, I promise to make it as short as possible.

Had a great free lance graphic design home business after college graduation. Kimberly Provo Design. Had good clients and good projects going, a former instructor told me it was against my best interest (taxes, marriage, divorce, personal safety, etc.) to use my full name in my business. Since I trusted him I changed the name of my business. I wanted to gear more toward "creative small businesses" like etsy shops and the like, so I re-named to My Whole Heart Design wtih a creative, cutesy and eclectic logo.

Since the birth of my son I have been at a stand still for work, zero motivation, zero drive to advertise and get more business, zero energy to update/work on my website. Nothing I was at a dead standstill.

So the age old New Years Resolutions roll around and I'm super eager to re-invent my business and really crack down on getting back to work (plus i need to as we prepare to buy our first home and need the extra income), and my biggest issue is really narrowing in on A. What it is I want to do (web design, graphic design, logo design) B. What my target market is and C. What my "look and feel" is. I'm so confused and pulled in so many directions, but all I know is I want a LASTING brand, that will stand the test of time and not make me flit back and forth going "Is this too childish, not professional enough...etc"

I don't know if it is smart to redefine myself again (I only have 100 fans on my FB page) but I just don't see "My Whole Heart Design" lasting the long haul. I honestly think I should go back to my name, and maybe just use my middle name... Kimberly Anne, maybe adding Creative Design, or just Design, or just Creative? I don't know what would be best

Here is the logo for My Whole Heart Design... the website is mywholeheartdesignDOTcom

Welcome to GDF, kimberlyanne. I hope you'll find it useful and fun here.

We ask all new members to read the threads posted HERE and HERE. They explain how the forum runs, the rules, frequently discussed topics and our inside jokes.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

wow, 222 views and no replies. Thanks guys. lol

Comment

Welcome to the GDF

I'm not really entirely clear what you're asking though.

I really like the "my whole heart design" it's kinda catchy.

You say that you can't get motivated right now. So what got you motivated before? Perhaps you need to go back to your roots and discover what it was that got your engine going in the first place?

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Originally posted by eugenetyson View Post
          Welcome to the GDF

You say that you can't get motivated right now. So what got you motivated before? Perhaps you need to go back to your roots and discover what it was that got your engine going in the first place?
          I've had it been said to be before "Whole Heart is very sweet but I'm wondering if a few businesses might see it as too much "heart" and not enough business sense?"

I'm just wondering what is it holding me back from advancing and growing my business

Comment

No replies probably because there isn't really a question in the six paragraphs of statement/inner thought and a plug to your business at the end of it.

Does your current business name net you the type of clients you want? if you answered yes to this question, then it doesn't matter if you like it or not, it's working.
            Design is not decoration.

Comment

Yeh i know what you mean about the name.

So what got you interested in design at the beginning?

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
                No replies probably because there isn't really a question in the six paragraphs of statement/inner thought and a plug to your business at the end of it.

Does your current business name net you the type of clients you want? if you answered yes to this question, then it doesn't matter if you like it or not, it's working.
                Are you serious? I'm giving anyone the insight to my "brand" to see if they have any helpful advice as to where to go to create a more lasting brand.
                Obviously you don't have any. So why reply?

Comment

Originally posted by eugenetyson View Post
                  Welcome to the GDF

Really? I did too, it really suited what I wanted to do when I started. I put my whole heart into each of my projects and clients and it shows because I call so many of my former clients friends. Go back to my roots... good sound advice. Thank you eugenetyson

Comment

Originally posted by kimberlyanne View Post
                    Are you serious? I'm giving anyone the insight to my "brand" to see if they have any helpful advice as to where to go to create a more lasting brand.
                    Obviously you don't have any. So why reply?
                    Why get so defensive, my advice was essentially if it isn't broken, why fix it? you said you have 100 or so fans on you FB page and you were happy with your clientele, so why create a problem for yourself by forcing people to adapt/remember a different name?

Comment

His question is valid about whether or not your current business name is netting you the type of clients you want. If yes, why change? You have to consider what is appealing to the type of client you want, we can't guess if you are going to like it in the process. Also, we're good at giving people advice on the WORK that they do, but we don't do that work for them. You gotta be careful about asking this bunch for unsolicited idears...

As to his observation, I just dismissed it as a plug too. <shrug>

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
                        Why get so defensive, my advice was essentially if it isn't broken, why fix it? you said you have 100 or so fans on you FB page and you were happy with your clientele, so why create a problem for yourself by forcing people to adapt/remember a different name?
                        Because I don't see it as being memorable, I see it as trendy... and now is the time to change if so because I don't have a big a following as possible. I'm at the ground level I feel and I want to go up

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                          His question is valid about whether or not your current business name is netting you the type of clients you want. If yes, why change? You have to consider what is appealing to the type of client you want, we can't guess if you are going to like it in the process. Also, we're good at giving people advice on the WORK that they do, but we don't do that work for them. You gotta be careful about asking this bunch for unsolicited idears...

As to his observation, I just dismissed it as a plug too. <shrug>
                          Ok then, my bad I will remove it. I thought it would help to the entire "branding"

Comment

help to SEE the entire branding sorry

Comment

Originally posted by kimberlyanne View Post
                              Because I don't see it as being memorable, I see it as trendy... and now is the time to change if so because I don't have a big a following as possible. I'm at the ground level I feel and I want to go up
                              What type of clientele are you looking for? If you're looking for more corporate type clients then by all means what you have is to folky. If you just want the ma & pa, local/boutique business or you do some form of greeting cards/invitations then what you have works. You could do with cleaning up the out-of-the-box AI brush strokes or creating your own brush strokes. (the corners are contain the only straight lines in the wider stroke, which is unlike the rest of the grungy feel)

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X