X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it take?

Hello! First post! (I'll get to the Introductions folder soon. Promise.)

Got a question for those of you who do graphic design as a living. I've been given the task of creating a tri-fold brochure for a family company. Perhaps, the better question is how many times will you go over and over and over something you have created (logo, brochure, whatever)? I will admit I tend to be a bit of an overzealous perfectionist. But a discussion of sorts came up recently and the question popped in my head. I'm sure it will vary, depending on what it is. Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Hi and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read the threads posted HERE and HERE. They explain how the forum runs, the rules, frequently discussed topics and our inside jokes.

For all jobs, there should be a deadline agreed upon before you begin. This gets both designer and client in the right mindset. Now, as a designer, you might charge by the hour or by the project. That's up to you and your clients. It's good to be a perfectionist, but you need to learn the difference between kerning every letter perfectly and what the client's bank account will bear. You could spend 30 hours making sure something is clear cut perfectly. Or you could do a good enough job in 1 hour. The client will probably prefer to pay for 1 hour of adequate clear cutting than 30 hours of the best clear cutting in the world.

Every designer works differently so it's no one's place to say how long something should take.

So be as much of a perfectionist as you can, but keep in mind your deadline and client budget. I hope that is helpful?
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Welcome Aboard

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
      Working...
      X