Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Pavlo
    Reply to Honest critique for a wedding design
    Pavlo
    Hi PD,
    Thank you. No problem. :-)
    I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't making a specific recommendation for her to use red and black together.
    cheers
    Today, 11:35 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Colors changing in ai when I copy and paste
    PrintDriver
    Before starting any art always check your color space. Going from RGB to CMYK, espcially by just telling Illustrator to do so using the Document Color Mode to just toggle it, will not only screw up your...
    Today, 11:23 AM
  • PrintDriver
    PrintDriver
    When you compare "insipid" to "strong and bright" it can come off as advice.
    Your research suggestion was in a different paragraph.
    That's how I red it.
    I apologize...
    Today, 11:20 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Print Quality Issues... Am I being swindled?
    PrintDriver
    Like I said, some of the older board machines don't do "small" well.

When doing large format, do not expect "digital" print quality where "digital" means high-end...
    Today, 11:16 AM
  • Pavlo
    Pavlo
    Hi there PD,
    Just for the record: I have not given advice to janetm1000 to make it a strong red and black.

My suggestion to her was, "...to do further research into Chinese culture...
    Today, 11:10 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I charge a deposit?

I'm just getting started out on my own and unfortunately my first customer fell off the map after receiving their product (which they used) and has yet to pay. I'm meeting with a client tomorrow to go over a fairly large new order. Should I charge a percentage up front, and if so how much?

Thanks!

Welcome rlmercer! We ask all new members to have a read through these important threads with our rules and FAQs and such.

Just remember that we cannot directly discuss pricing on the forum. Percentages are fine, just not actual dollar amounts.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Depending on the size of the invoice, and whether you have to pay COD for printing...

50% upfront, 50% on delivery or if your suppliers require COD you could figure out what you need to cover your costs and request that upfront and the rest upon completion.
      Design is not decoration.

Comment

We do thirds. One third to start, second third on delivery of all required information from the client and/or presentation of final proofs, and one third on delivery of final product. On some projects, long ones, monthly payments are requested covering work to date.

Comment

We charge 50% of the design bid as a deposit. If there are printing or any subcontract costs involved we add them to the deposit. When the job is complete, the balance due is all profit including any add on requests the client may have made along the way. If there are any collection issues at the end our hard costs are covered and there are no issues with our subs or vendors.

Comment

yes! 33.3% 33.3% 33.3%
            "After all is said and done, more is said than done."
            Aesop

Comment

I actually don't. Well, I mostly don't.

I only charge a deposit for new clients with project budgets under a certain $ amount. (New clients remain 'new' for several projects.)
              Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

I have found that in these economic times, that asking for a deposit is very common. Depending on the size ($$) and duration of the project I have asked for anywhere from 25% to 50% up front. In my proposal I have a paragraph titled "Retainer" and use a phrase something to the effect of... So that both parties are committed and invested in this project, (name of your firm here) is asking for a retainer of $$.$$.

I have found this works very well, I also show them that information and talk about it in a very positive way. Almost everyone aggress and cut that check with in a day or so.

Comment

Always take a deposit, even if you feel confident that the business isn't going to "screw" you by not paying. There's always the possibility that they will start getting proposals from other designers. BNut paying the deposit you get their full commitment, they work with you and only you.

I used to liase with a guy who did SEO work, he had problems where by he used to build links for clients websites and optimise their websites. Well he used to do all the hard work, but the search engines didn't respond immediately, there's a delayed affect of about 2 months on SEO. Clients would get impatient and think the SEO guy is yanking when they didn't see immediate results and think SEO guy is yanking their chain and then jump ship. Recently, he's tied them into 6 month contracts with 2 months payment upfront. So the client actually sees through with the work.

You need the guarantee that the client isn't going to reneg on their promises mostly.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                  Working...
                  X