So I kind of...hate graphic design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I kind of...hate graphic design

Here's the thing. I've liked to draw and illustrate for as long as I can remember. I got a Bachelor's in graphic design, thinking it would be practical for finding work.

Wrong I was. Not only is it impossible for me to even find work, the time I'm spending building my portfolio is frustrating me every day.

I tend to be more artistic and less advertising oriented. That alone is a problem. Factor in my outright hatred of finding the right photographs and having to perfectly make cutouts of them makes me really despise graphic design. Not that I'm even that good at it. The "nitpicky" nature of it is what bothers me.

To be honest, I wish there was something else I can do for a career, but I don't even know what I like so I'm not sure what I can apply for or what I can go to school for. Finding work as an illustrator is damn near impossible and to be honest I'm not sure I want to draw all that much either.

Any advice or help on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

What do you want to do?

You need to figure out if you just need to take a break or if that's the end for you and design forever. Sometimes when we're burned out, we might think we hate something but it's just a case of getting a new perspective. Take a month break from design if you can. See if things change.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Find what you love

Hi,

Buda is right.

First thing you need to do is stop. Grab a chair a pen and paper, sit down and write.

I can't stress enough how important it is to find what you really love.
      Find what you love until you feel you could do it for free. Write what you'd love to do, how would be the perfect job position for you. Visualize it.

It goes beyond drawing. Drawing should have a purpose. In my case : telling a story. Do you love stories ?

Second, there is always a way to improve in doing what you DON'T like, it gives you an invaluable life's lesson. Art market is really hard. Is there a way around ?

In my case, I like to draw more than "design", I don't have a degree in design, I was an international trade student ( most of professionals out there will tell you that they don't rely on it to get the job done) but I got passion for drawing & small businesses, I want to help them grow. So I thought about how my drawing could help them. There are drawing in animation, in storyboard, photo manipulation etc.

In logo design, you go analog before running Illustrator, there's part of drawing there.
      Sometimes (most of the time) clients are really picky and want the graphic designer to actually draw motif! (logo, brochure, calendar, etc). This tends to drive graphic designers CRAZY (am I right fellas ? )

Third, Business beats talent...always! There are crappy designers/drawers out there but hell they can sell themselves in ways you can't imagine.
      Love brings passion, and passion sells. It's contagious.

There are tons of books out there on the art market, on crafting good portfolios, on how art business works, you should grab those and learn.

I might not have answered your question clearly (I'm french so excuse my english). But i'm available to help you find your way.

Stay hungry, stay foolish & keep drawing

Lio (@liothomas)

Comment

Ah, yet another one finds out Graphic Design isn't about their Art. That cannot be stressed enough. Too many people find out too late that Graphic Design isn't the glamorous sit-at-my-computer-and-make-fantastic-art-people-will-love-because-I-made-it career they think it is. It's a lot of work. If you don't find image research fun, if you don't like the puzzle of building a brand, if you don't like the challenge of thinking like your client's clients, if you don't like bending your creativity for another person's corporate needs, if you don't like the grunt work it takes to get to that brilliant (or not so brilliant) design published...give it up.

We can't tell you how to make something you hate better. If you have absolutely no idea what direction to take your life, there are plenty of career counseling services out there. If you are in the US, you might find some resources at your local unemployment office. There are plenty of online resources with involved psych surveys that help you determine where your interests may lead career-wise. With the latter, be sure you are honest in your answers and that the site is reputable. Like most things on the internet, anyone can claim to be anything they want you to think they are. You may have to pay a fee for a good read.

Sinking money into a college education you aren't going to use? At no point in that journey did you discover your dislike for the field? No internship or informational interviews that may have given you a clue?

Asking a bunch of internet strangers what you should do with your life may be part of the reason you are where you are. Perhaps you relied on someone else's advice that Graphic Design was for you because you 'like art.' <shrug>
        Only you can change your own life, and whatever you do should be your decision. After all, you have to live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
          Ah, yet another one finds out Graphic Design isn't about their Art. That cannot be stressed enough. Too many people find out too late that Graphic Design isn't the glamorous sit-at-my-computer-and-make-fantastic-art-people-will-love-because-I-made-it career they think it is. It's a lot of work. If you don't find image research fun, if you don't like the puzzle of building a brand, if you don't like the challenge of thinking like your client's clients, if you don't like bending your creativity for another person's corporate needs, if you don't like the grunt work it takes to get to that brilliant (or not so brilliant) design published...give it up.

We can't tell you how to make something you hate better. If you have absolutely no idea what direction to take your life, there are plenty of career counseling services out there. If you are in the US, you might find some resources at your local unemployment office. There are plenty of online resources with involved psych surveys that help you determine where your interests may lead career-wise. With the latter, be sure you are honest in your answers and that the site is reputable. Like most things on the internet, anyone can claim to be anything they want you to think they are. You may have to pay a fee for a good read.

Sinking money into a college education you aren't going to use? At no point in that journey did you discover your dislike for the field? No internship or informational interviews that may have given you a clue?

Asking a bunch of internet strangers what you should do with your life may be part of the reason you are where you are. Perhaps you relied on someone else's advice that Graphic Design was for you because you 'like art.' <shrug>
          Only you can change your own life, and whatever you do should be your decision. After all, you have to live with it.
          Amen to THAT!
          - Jen

"You cannot soar with eagles if you surround yourself with turkeys"

My blog

Comment

The line that alarmed me was The "nitpicky" nature of it is what bothers me.
            Any job, any career is going to be nitpicky. It's called "attention to detail". I can't think of one job where you're not going to have to deal with "nitpicky". Think about your mechanic having that attitude while he's fixing your brakes. No matter what field you decide to pursue, I would recommend rethinking your attitude about "nitpicky" Anything other than your best is just being lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
              It's a lot of work. If you don't find image research fun, if you don't like the puzzle of building a brand, if you don't like the challenge of thinking like your client's clients, if you don't like bending your creativity for another person's corporate needs, if you don't like the grunt work it takes to get to that brilliant (or not so brilliant) design published...give it up.
              Yup!

Becoming a good graphic designer requires an unusual combination of creativity and analytical thinking. It involves figuring out puzzles for which no predetermined solutions exist. It requires the ability to embrace the biggest of pictures, yet being able to concentrate on the smallest of details. It also involves determining the best possible combination of compromises from an endless selection of less-than-ideal choices.

If these sorts of things don't sound appealing, it's best to find another career path.

Comment

That's a good point, Designia. If you are passionate about something and enjoy your work, you will strive for excellence.

Some people call it nitpicking. Others call it doing their job.
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Can't you find a way to combine both, art and illustration with graphic design. I've seen some really interesting graphic design out there that blurs the boundaries between those. It doesn't sound like you're very sure that you know what you are looking for in which case you are going to have a very hard time being happy.
                  www.AdanMGarcia.com

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X