Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• skribe
    Reply to school project one pager
    skribe
    I think it is well executed. Especially for a school project. The roll overs are good, and I really like the eagle spreading its wings. The only thing that caught my eye was the label text on the banners...
    Today, 07:06 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Can anyone help identifying this script typeface?
    KitchWitch
    Hi Eann and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 03:00 PM
  • Pat Angelo
    Reply to Laptop Bags
    Pat Angelo
    Yeah,go to shop and choose a suitable.
    Today, 01:32 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Christmas cards
    PrintDriver
    Yeah, it's too bad new designers don't know them.
    I had a couple sub-vendor printers go completely offline for two weeks in November due to a Christmas crush. They didn't take any new orders for...
    Today, 01:07 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Christmas cards
    PrintDriver
    You shouldn't be looking on google images... at least not without expecting to pursue permission to use the images. Google images is NOT a stock site, though some stock shows up in it.

There...
    Today, 01:01 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portfolio question?

Hey All,
    I just recently found this forum and I've got to say you guys are GREAT! I'm soon on the move with about 3 years experience. 1 year with the 2002 Salt Lake Olympic Committee, and 2 years as a GD at Starz Encore, a cable movie company. Anyway, I need advice on putting a print portfolio together. What are art directors looking for these days? Photography of work on black boards? PDF that they can just view?
    My last interview which was for this job, I had the 'black book'. I'm looking for a creative way to promote myself for any future interviews.

Thanks guys.....I'll take anything you got.
    Lisa

www.yourmindseye.org

I usually have a PDF with some samples from my portfolio to get them interested. I take it you plan on hitting up all the local ad agencies, etc? you want to get their attention quick. when I was an AD I would get resumes weekly. times I wouldn't have time to even look at them. so you have to remember this. I would have a PDF ready and mention it in your cover letter to these ADs. they will get back to you if they want to see it.

then have a full portfolio to show. Black board, pages, etc. Doesn't matter as long as it is NEAT. Be organized. that i=s what AD look for. If your port is all in shambels, they will suspect you would be also.
    Another neat thing you can do is if you have a laptop wth a big enough screen you can do a slide show of your stuff. that would be impressive.

good luck, I was in your position about 5 years ago. I moved from boston to Orlando. It was fun. [img]/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

'I will become the most powerful Jedi ever!'
    "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

Hi Lisa, Welcome to the forum. A few years ago when I was job hunting. I made up a sample sheet and had about 20 good quality color copies made. I liked being able to hand something tangible to them at the interview that didn't require a computer to view. [img]/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

'I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me.' Abraham Simpson

Post Edited (Kool) : 6/3/2004 6:08:39 PM GMT

Comment

Since I am an Art Director, I will tell you what I like to see: a small neat book. Those enourmous portfolios are insanely bulky and hard to get through!

You dont need to mount stuff (at least for me you dont) as I actually prefer to take things out and leaf through them. You can use print samples and just photograph things like tshirts or other strange objects [img]/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

A website with your best work is a great way to show it. I prefer that over emailed jpegs or pdfs. That way, I can find out lots about you!

But a word of advice about websites that SHOULD be obvious but sadly, is not. NO OBSCENITIES! I actually receieved a resume with a link to a designer's website. When I got there, I was confronted with a bare ass and a lovely type treatment of ***** OFF! LOL! It was not directed at me, it was about his view of things, I guess but not appropriate for a portfolio. Obviously, he did not get a call!

Comment

thanks guys for the tips, every little bit helps!

Comment

Do a mini-book. I'd never heard of this term before coming to ad school but it's definately the way to go. Find a good, creative way to show your stuff in a small, neat package (as buns said). Most of the other students are doing something smaller than 8.5 x 11 and either binding it themselves or going to Kinko's. A few went to a place like Michaels or Barnes andNobel and are getting their blank books and 3M-ing their work inside.I saw onefor a copywriter that was on mini-clipboards, another copywriter designed his cover to look like an old school composition book.

BUT don't let your creativity in the manufacture of the book outshine the work inside of it,that makes it worse.

Basically remember that this, above all, is a communication piece about you. What do you want them to think about you when they see it? How can every detail you put into enhance that communication? Good luck!

Comment

i'd definitely have have printed on paper, which form ever. it just takes too much time or effort to look at it on a computer.

btw. nice little website you have there. (i love the way how you photographed you work)

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
              Working...
              X