Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Pavlo
    Reply to Company Logo Rebranding Critique
    Pavlo
    Yes, I get that clients can have what they want because they are paying for it.

But that's not the point of the role of a graphic designer is it?

Also, this is a forum for graphic
    Today, 01:27 AM
  • garricks
    Comment on Happy Friday!!
    garricks
    Oh, crap. I've done that. Not fun. Take care hon!
    Today, 01:05 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Recommendation request: online proofing tool
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF CALM

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Yesterday, 11:40 PM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Business Name Ideas
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Autumn

Seems a bit silly to have random strangers throw names at a wall to see what sticks, no? We don't know anything about you or your business, really. What have you come...
    Yesterday, 11:40 PM
  • Red Kittie Kat
    Reply to Happy Friday!!
    Red Kittie Kat
    Thanks everyone...on top of it I sneezed this morning and threw my back out...oh well the ice packs help with the hot flashes ROFL!!! This gettin' old shit is....gettin' old!!!
    Yesterday, 11:07 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the programs you must know!!

Hey guys, after I graduated I realized that I didn't know how to handle as much programs as I should. Now that I have the time (thanks God!) I want to learn by myself some graphic/layout programs better. So what programs do you think are 'A DESIGNER'S MUST', and what book, websites do you think are the best sources to learn them.

Hey thank you so much!! you're great!
    "art carries but design delivers" by Mc

look at ads for designers... there ya go
    "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

My list of programs include:

Photoshop (duh)
      Illustrator
      InDesign
      Flash
      GoLive

You can swap out InDesign for Quark, GoLive for Dreamweaver, or Freehand for Illustrator.

I use a few other programs on the side but nothing really worth mentioning.
      *insert inane quote here*

Comment

What defjoe said.

As for books and training materials, that depends on how you prefer to learn. I myself like video tutorials, so I like lynda.com. There are lots of things that Lynda doesn't cover, so I spend quite a great deal of time at amazon.com searching the various options, reading reviews, etc.

If you had a specific software program in mind, there's probably tons of threads you can search on this forum for recommendations on tutorials.
        You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

^^^^^^^ What ROCKETPIG SAID^^^^^^^^^^

If you got the time play with them all. Everysetting option ...everything.
          The web is a wonderful source. the good folks here are an awesome bunch of pros as well
          It's not about the world of design.
          It's about the design of the world.
          Massive Change

Comment

It might be worth mentioning that I make my living primarily as a web designer, and I don't know any HTML editors well at all. I know the basics of dreamweaver, but I use it very sparingly. Why? Because I don't need it, I move faster if I just do it myself -- and then I don't have to worry about DW spitting out nasty code that I'll just have to fix anyway.

If you're going into web design, I'd say learn the code, doesn't matter squat what program you're using if you know that.

Flash is another story of course.
            You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

I'm not very well versed in web design and I'll use dreamweaver but there is alot of extranious code in there. A text editor is all a good web designer needs for the generation of HTML.

The short answer for which program to know....all of them...
              Last edited by PersonasBinar; 10-11-2005, 05:30 PM.
              Massive Change

Comment

Honestly the best thing you can do is get a job in a small print shop. Fresh out of school nobody really knows the ins and outs of the software, but you will learn more in 3 weeks in the workplace than you have learned in your 2-4 years in schooling.
                Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MD
                  Honestly the best thing you can do is get a job in a small print shop. Fresh out of school nobody really knows the ins and outs of the software, but you will learn more in 3 weeks in the workplace than you have learned in your 2-4 years in schooling.
                  *nods in agreement*

I learned more in my first few months of print shop work than I did in school.
                  *insert inane quote here*

Comment

Word To Md....
                    Massive Change

Comment

^ditto
                      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I've never known Dreamweaver to spit out "nasty-code" like many other web design software. Especially the new version, which is wonderful and has a lot more CSS functionality. Besides, almost every attribute of the software is configurable, so it only spits out undesirable code if you set it that way.

Anyways, most of the software mentioned in this thread you should know to some degree. Will you use them all? It depends. Some designers who do very specific things may only use 1 or 2 of them. Some who work in small design firms may use a dozen different softwares.
                        Last edited by TheBluePanda; 10-11-2005, 05:59 PM.

Comment

A basic knowledge of as many apps as possible is always a good thing as well as how they can/should/don't/cannot interect is helpful as well.
                          Massive Change

Comment

Corell has some interesting programs that might add a little bit to your work. As, far as books being in school myself, my teachers have leaned towards Visual Quick Start series of books. Pretty good balance of words to pictures lol! Also for Adobe products there is <insert Adobe Program Name Here> Bibles. Best refernce books I own. One last thing on books, anything written by Derek McClelland will be great for Photoshop. The man is amazing, and can be pretty funny also. Online tuts are great also. I've learned alot from them. Just mess around and start combinding them you'll be amazed at what you can do!

Comment

My answer would be that it depends on your field of specialization. For general print/layout design, working in-house (ie, needing to know programs companies are using, not what you have on your own system, but ignoring crap programs that you encounter but shouldn't have to bother with), the key programs to know would be:

Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign/Pagemaker, Quark Xpress, and Corel Draw

If for video, learn After Effects, Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, and Audition/Cool Edit Pro (both the same program, renamed after Adobe bought it).

For web design, learn Dreamweaver, Flash, and Visual Studio.NET for programs, and XHTML, CSS, Javascript, Actionscript, php, and ASP for languages.

For further study... How about 3D modelling? Maya, 3D Studio Max, and Cinema 4D are tops for that. Or for 2D animation - Toon Boom Studio is great!

As far as books - my personal preference for Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or InDesign are the Adobe Classroom in a Book series or the Total Training DVD series, and for Macromedia Dreamweaver and Flash is the Macromedia Training from the Source series. For web programming (HTML, Actionscript, etc.), I like the Complete Reference series published by McGraw Osbourne or the Definitive Guide series by O'Reilly.

There are also various other books I would suggest, like the Photoshop Bible, Illustrator WOW, Down and Dirty Tricks for Photoshop, Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects, How to Cheat in Photoshop, and many others... But to learn the basics - I would start with the above mentioned series.

*EDIT: To follow up on D_Lucks' post, the Photoshop Bible and Total Training for Photoshop (DVD) are both with Deke McClelland. As mentioned, the guy is not only amazing, he's funny as hell!

My personal proficiencies include Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Quark Xpress, Corel Draw, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Audition, Dreamweaver, Flash, Freehand, XHTML, CSS, Javascript, and Actionscript. The rest of the applications mentioned I'm trying to learn - if only I had the time and patience I used to.
                              Last edited by Ned; 10-12-2005, 03:29 AM.
                              Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                              mediamainline.com
                              cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X