Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• ISitude
    Reply to Common font, but what is it? Please help.
    ISitude
    Upstairs inside my head I class fonts in categories. In the Serif category I remember this face because of its pointy serif, and I remember its name mainly because the Ss look like a Boa Constrictor that...
    Today, 05:52 PM
  • ISitude
    Comment on Common font, but what is it? Please help.
    ISitude
    WELCOME!!
    Today, 05:41 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Dissertation topic
    KitchWitch
    Hi ejl and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 05:01 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Common font, but what is it? Please help.
    <b>
    I have a weird mental block when it comes to this typeface. Whenever I see it, I can never remember its name. Maybe it's because there's absolutely nothing about the face that seems even remotely ser...
    Today, 04:02 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Client hasn't paid and is using my website!!
    <b>
    I haven't heard the client's side of the story, but just taking what you've written at face value, you're dealing with a big-time deadbeat and a thief. Getting this person to voluntarily hand over payment...
    Today, 03:56 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splatter effect

Is it possible to do this in Illy or Photoshop? If so, can anyone tell me or show me a tutorial that will aid me in doing this?

-Dustin

usually the best way to achieve that kind of look is to actually do it. take some india ink and splatter it on some white computer paper. let it dry and scan it into photoshop. there are also photoshop brushes of splatters you can download. you can combine different splatters to create the kind of look youre going for.

matthew~

Comment

The big blobs can be done in photoshop with just a hard brush...the little bits may be best done in illustrator...(your computer has gotta be up to the task for this next bit)...make a simple shape and keep applying the *transform each* command with randomise and set to copy...as you build this up your centre will appear solid (thousands of objects) with fragments flying off...do this with different shapes. and you will achieve a good starting point for further photosop work.

Comment

http://www.purephotoshop.com/article/46
        or
        http://jheather.com/bloodtutorial/
        ProudPenguin
        P r o d u c t i o n s

Comment

Or just use the Angryblue splatter brushes - that's what that splatter is from anyway.

http://angryblue.com/downloads.shtml
          Brent Simon is God | add me on myspace | Tutorials and stuff | download vector packs

aim - mylkhead

Comment

An observation.

It's very sad in a 'cookie-cutter' design kind of way if someone can actually identify a spatter.

I'm not dissing you Mylkhead, just the over-reliance on brushes, open stock art and freebee fonts...

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
              An observation.

It's very sad in a 'cookie-cutter' design kind of way if someone can actually identify a spatter.

I'm not dissing you Mylkhead, just the over-reliance on brushes, open stock art and freebee fonts...
              No you are absolutely right. I am not encouragin him to use those brushes. This is one thing I hate the most. Brushes are a cool thing, but when this Angryblue splatter has been used time and time again for anything music/edgy.

One band I knew completey based their entire band identity on this exact splatter. Poor guys.
              Brent Simon is God | add me on myspace | Tutorials and stuff | download vector packs

aim - mylkhead

Comment

Originally posted by mylkhead
                Or just use the Angryblue splatter brushes - that's what that splatter is from anyway.

http://angryblue.com/downloads.shtml
                I actually downloaded that. But, if and when I were to use it I'd rather be able to do it myself.
                -Dustin

Comment

Whoa, small world.

Dustin, I believe I meet you at the SyTy Nats few years back if you remember. There was and indident in the hotel hallway with another S-Series member if that jogs any memory

Anyhow.... Ive been playing around with splatter brushes and taking reflex blue ink, cutting it with acetone and dropping it on white paper. Let dry and do a high res scan. Bring it into Illustrator and do a live trace on it. Seems to work alright, still needs tweaking since live trace isnt the best of tools IMHO.

You can also do the same method with spray cans on paper. Black obviously works the best .

Comment

Originally posted by SyTy Syndicate
                    Whoa, small world.

Dustin, I believe I meet you at the SyTy Nats few years back if you remember. There was and indident in the hotel hallway with another S-Series member if that jogs any memory

Anyhow.... Ive been playing around with splatter brushes and taking reflex blue ink, cutting it with acetone and dropping it on white paper. Let dry and do a high res scan. Bring it into Illustrator and do a live trace on it. Seems to work alright, still needs tweaking since live trace isnt the best of tools IMHO.

You can also do the same method with spray cans on paper. Black obviously works the best .
                    I actually didn't go to the SyTy Nats. A couple of my buddies did. I don't know if you know a guy named Rhino, I know he went.

It seems doing it with ink comes out to be the best way to do it. I guess, in the future if I ever use it, that'll be the way I'll go about making my splatters.
                    -Dustin

Comment

I stumbled across this and though of this thread - it's pretty poor art pad but if you seect the pain bucket tool you can make some pretty cool splats.

http://artpad.art.com/artpad/painter/

what i have done is printed the screen and dropped it into photoshop - using select colour range to get rid of the horrid coloured (brit) back ground.
                      www.kerryrowberry.com

Comment

I usually just throw some ink on paper until I get it the way I want and then scan it in. It always seems more natural if it is possible for a splatter effect to actualy be natural.
                        How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

True true.
                          www.kerryrowberry.com

Comment

I hate to admit it, but that artpad thing was kind of fun!

Comment

Response

Simple.

First I did ink spraying through a pen reverse onto glossy calendered white vinyl. Then added additional droplets. Took digital photo and imported the image into I.CS2 and......

When Adobe Illustrator CS2 was released the first tool I touched was the "Auto Trace" option with Tracing Options engaged. In options field I did this in Black and White Mode (which also runs at a faster process).

Toyed with the Threshold to about 198 and the Path Fitting set to 1. No Blur. Then I lowered the Minimal Area to 0.

Then pretty much produced the same effect. It is very similar where did you acquire this image?

However, my expectations of this feature were severely let down. It cripples you and limits your control. Stick to the tedious, it pays off to create the details yourself.

What was previously mentioned about brushes is very accurate. This goes for filters/plug-ins, custom shapes, brushes and etc. Always create your own presets when possible. When you use another artist's work (or preset) it is no longer yours..

Peace.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X