Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Juniberry
    Reply to Wordpress theme and plugin help for print company.
    Juniberry
    I should also mention that a theme that supports the visual composer would be excellent....
    Today, 05:54 AM
  • Juniberry
    Wordpress theme and plugin help for print company.
    Juniberry
    Howdy-doody fellas and bellas, I'm just after some quick advice from those of you out there with plenty of experience choosing and working with WP themes.

Attached is a template/guide to...
    Today, 05:53 AM
  • arielr190
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    arielr190
    the business is online. print-wise, the smallest it will ever get is a business card.
    Today, 03:53 AM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to UX tips
    lowfatgraphics
    Hmm This isn't UX, it is UI... Its common to get the two mixed up but having worked in UX and now UI, there is a pretty big difference.

Now from a UI stand point, there isn't much here...aside...
    Today, 03:52 AM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Candy Shop Logo
    lowfatgraphics
    "S" is tough to read-- looks interesting. the glossy highlights seem to have multiple light sources tho...might want to double check.
    Today, 03:43 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Design does not equal Good Business

Hungry? Want Another Bullsh!t Sandwich?

Nice read for those of you who are sick of hearing people about saying "Google has a simple, basic website and they are successful, so the design must be successful!"

Conversely, your product/service has to be awesome in spite of an awesome website. Likewise, trends are trends. Don't follow them and expect an Amazon layout to cure your portfolio website blues.
    Last edited by reuber1; 02-21-2006, 03:43 PM.

It's common stupid sense. But good design isn't the main priority either.
    When you're drunk, everybody is your friend.

Comment

Is this your theory roobs?
      Less be more.

Comment

In simple terms yes.

The logic quoted is simply stupid, yet common sense to those who fomulate it. Thus 'common stupid sense' is formed. People who thinks like these are probable mutated: Their bains is located in their ass.

Depending on the nature of the business, design holds a certain percentage to a business' success, but not completely (100%) nor vice versa. Just like sketching skills; being important, but not critical to a designer's career.

Btw, pardon my bad english, what's roobs?
        When you're drunk, everybody is your friend.

Comment

Hmmm, I must have missed something. I wasn't aware that Google or Ebay were setting trends and winning design awards in the first place. lol

The "You can't polish a turd" part is so true. Design can help, but it ain't magic.
          You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

Originally posted by max_nhk

It's our nickname for reuber. It's actually pronounced ray-bur, but one of those things where everybody thinks it's pronounced roo-bur. Or something.
            You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

It's the guy with the crazy, wild cat pic.

Comment

Jinx Ec

Comment

you owe me a coke!

Comment

Originally posted by EC
                    you owe me a coke!
                    hope you have a straw big enough...

Last edited by balou; 02-21-2006, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EC
                      Hmmm, I must have missed something. I wasn't aware that Google or Ebay were setting trends and winning design awards in the first place. lol

The "You can't polish a turd" part is so true. Design can help, but it ain't magic.
                      I agree with you. I've heard people say that "Well, Google does this this way, and look at their success!", trying to formulate an effective argument on baseless speculation. Google is successful because of the service they offer, in spite of their piss poor design.

Likewise, there's the people that say "If we make the design look pretty then it will sell our service!" Not if your service blows or is faulty to begin with. "Polishing a turd" indeed.

Comment

In simple terms yes.

The logic quoted is simply stupid, yet common sense to those who fomulate it. Thus 'common stupid sense' is formed. People who thinks like these are probable mutated: Their bains is located in their ass.

Depending on the nature of the business, design holds a certain percentage to a business' success, but not completely (100%) nor vice versa. Just like sketching skills; being important, but not critical to a designer's career.
                        Exactly.

Comment

From a communications/marketing perspective, sometimes "bad" does equal effective.

Take car ads for example. Or like, those television commercials for mattress stores. They're very formulaic and they work. Explain that one to an art instructor (I've tried, believe me I don't make friends with these types). Is our job to elevate the aesthetic sensibilities of the masses? Art/design instructors would say yes. Communications instructors would say, "Does it serve it's purpose and meet it's goals?" If the answer is yes, it's effective design.

Is good design the same as effective design? Yeah, we don't need to go there, strike that, reverse. lol

Comment

I think that's where the Craiglist anecdote comes in. It may be ugly, but it serves it's purpose well, and the author agrees with that notion. However, I think design-wise, Google could do better. I see three tiers to his argument:

1. Bad design/Excellent Product = success (google)
                            2. Excellent Design/bad product = failure (iPod...HA HA just kidding!!! but seriously)
                            3. "Un-designed" but facilitates the needs of the product = success (craiglist)
                            Last edited by reuber1; 02-21-2006, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Long story short, I agree with ya'. I don't feel that every single thing that can possibly be designed needs to rake in awards. Try throwing David Carson type in a phone book...that'd actually be kinda funny.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X