This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam Alert

I have a graphic design company and just received a project request that turned out to be a scam and wanted to pass it on. He said he name was Jeff Rouse (probably from a stolen credit card.) After a brief text message exchange, he sent the email that I've pasted below. Ultimately, he wanted to send me the amount of the project plus an additional $2700 which I was then to pay his content manager. When I said that I couldn't do that, he stopped all contact. The phone number he used was (Number Removed) and claimed he was with a FL based company called Best Farm Produce. Just a heads up!

Here's the email he sent:

Here is the job details

i have small scale business which i want to turn into large scale business now it located in FL and the company is based on importing and exporting of Agriculture products such as Kola Nut, Gacillia Nut and Cocoa so i need a best of the best layout design for it. Can you handle that for me ?. so i need you to check out this site but i need something more perfect than this if its possible (Link Removed).... the site would only be informational, so i need you to give me an estimate based on the site i gave you to check out, the estimate should include hosting and i want the same page as the site i gave you to check out and i have a private project consultant, he has the text content and the logos for the site.

Note:
    1. I want the same number of pages with the example site i gave you to check excluding videos and blogs.
    2. I want only English language
    3. I dont have a domain yet but i want the domain name as bestfarmproduce.net
    4. you will be updating the site for me.
    5. i will be proving the images, logos and content for the site.
    6. i want the site up and running before ending of next month.
    7. My budget is $4000 to $8000

Kindly get back to me with:
    (1) an estimate
    (2) your cell phone number
    (3) Are you the owner ??

Jeff

213 is Algeria's calling code.

Comment

Hi Cobalt15 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

That scam is almost as old as the rich africans trying to get their money out of the country. Post any online classified ad and you'll get a bunch of quick replies from people "interested in your item" they all use this we'll send you extra money ploy. The check is always counterfeit.

Comment

It's prevalent in the screen printing business also, with somebody wanting a few thousand blank tee shirts. Then they want you to pay their shipper and insist you use them. Sure....

Then there's the eBay scam where somebody bids on and buys your laptop. They are in the U.S. but want you to ship it to their daughter in Africa.

For every industry or kind of business, there is somebody who can think of a way to exploit it.
          No cell phone, no Facebook, no iAnything. Am I missing something?

Comment

Hello,

I confirm that this "Jeff Rouse" guy is a "scammer" as well. (Other info removed by Admin)

Comment

Hello welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.

I removed the phone numbers and such from your post. This is such an old and well established scam that the individual numbers and emails are irrelevant. They are changed constantly.

Comment

Oh god, we used to get those phone calls, they were weird, they said they came from a hearing disabled person and the operator had to translate. I kept the guy on the phone for about 20 minutes going over and over and over the info. Making him spell things, repeat things. It was hilarious.

Comment

Received a text from a hearing impaired individual stating she needed a website and if I accept credit cards. I texted back to send me info about her business. Here's the message received:

I have small scale business which i want to turn into large scale business now. its located in FL and the company is based on importation and exportation of Agricultural produce such as Kola Nut, Gacillia Nut, and Cocoa so i need the best layout design for it. Can you handle that for me ?

I started to respond with more questions because I was suspicious of this contact. So glad to have stumbled upon these posts.

Comment

Hi NSheridan and welcome to GDF.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Ask them for a copy of their U.S. agricultural import permits. That ought to shut them up.
                      No cell phone, no Facebook, no iAnything. Am I missing something?

Comment

Just got the same request with EXACTLY the same email message. He couldn't call me but started texting. Couldn't send money via PayPal. Used the name Michael Stones. Here is text of the email I received...

Thanks for your swift response, i got your on yp.com

Here is the job details

i have small scale business which i want to turn into large scale business now it located in FL and the company is based on importing and exporting of Agriculture products such as Kola Nut, Gacillia Nut and Cocoa so i need a best of the best layout design for it. Can you handle that for me ?. so i need you to check out this site but i need something more perfect than this if its possible agromerica.com.... the site would only be informational, so i need you to give me an estimate based on the site i gave you to check out, the estimate should include hosting and i want the same page as the site i gave you to check out and i have a private project consultant, he has the text content and the logos for the site.

Note:
                        1. I want the same number of pages with the example site i gave you to check excluding videos and blogs.
                        2. I want only English language
                        3. I don't have a domain yet but i want the domain name as premiumnutsfromFL.net
                        4. you will be updating the site for me.
                        5. i will be proving the images, logos and content for the site.
                        6. i want the site up and running before ending of next month.
                        7. My budget is $4000 to $8000

Kindly get back to me with:
                        (1) an estimate
                        (2) your cell phone number
                        (3) Are you the owner ??
                        Last edited by PanToshi; 10-09-2015, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Catalpha. We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Just had the same guy contact me with the same email requesting a website! He was using the name Michael Stones. Thanks for posting your info which alerted me to the scam!

Comment

Hi JamieL and welcome to GDF.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X