Vehicle wrap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle wrap

Let me start off by saying i am not sure if this is in the correct location. I looked for where i thought it might need to go but was not able to find it? I overlooked it maybe so if this needs to be deleted please do so as i do not want to break any rules.

Ok here we go. My boss has always wanted to get into vehicle wraps and so on so we have purchased a Valuejet 54, a new Q54 plotter and a enduralam 2 54" Laminator. With that being said i am now in the need to learn the design process for wraps. I have looked into having and or paying someone local to tech me but yet we have only a few shops local and they have all said no. We are not to worried about the actually install process b/c we have had the designs created and printed elsewhere and installed them ourselves.

I know that i will need a template or atleast A lot of measuring without one for a partial wrap. I have located a few places online to buy from but my main concern is getting the final size correct to print and the exact print setup process. We are very new to this and we are family owned and operated and are rather small. So any help would be grateful. Heck i would even allow someone to remote into my computer and help me set a simple design up if that would be possible. The full wraps like over the fenders to the door and wrapping from the side to the back gate and so one to make sure everything aligns correctly is where i am lost well that and sizing correctly..

Thanks everyone so much for any help that could be given.

Moved from photography to general.
    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

• altereddezignz
      altereddezignz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the move. Appreciate it.

LOL. "Hello, would someone in your signshop be willing to teach me how to design and print auto wraps so I can steal away some of your business?"
    Of course, they'd say "no."

Since you bought all this new equipment, I'm going to guess you have some experience printing.
    So you know which media and lams to use, right?
    And done a full ROI study, given that you are new to wide format and have a major learning curve ahead of you. We always joke here that a new printer means a bigger dumpster for a couple weeks...

And if you've installed vehicle graphics you know that design is only half the battle.
    Part of the trick is not to have critical alignments in areas with maximum stretch. You'd be surprised at some designs, given enough bleed...
    What is your design background?

Comment

The sad part about your first statement is i had a really good friend who does wraps and we now no longer talk and he kicked me out of his shop saying i would still information!!!!! Yes i know it was stupid to ask them but you have to start somewhere.

Well this is something my boss wanted to do so i am game and willing to learn as far as return on investment even if it only pays for itself he would be happy lol..
      As far as a design background i been doing logo creation, signs, banners, apparel printing, stickers for a long time now. I do more in vector work thank anything. Granted i have no degree and i am web and self taught. I honeslty expected for someone to answer backa nd just laugh at me. My big issue i think is if there were lines on the lets say fender to hood how to go about alighning them in illustrator or photoshop as that is what i would be using. I know your supposed to stay away from those areas with designs but i guess it is the setting it up process that gets me. That and the sizing or scaling.

Comment

Are you located in the US?

I just do box trucks so a simple straight-on photo and a few measurements works to do the mockups.
        Friends of mine use the pro vehicle templates which are fairly accurate but should always be checked to the actual vehicle. For instance, pickups are notorious for having a long-bed style that will screw you up. Or you never know when someone may have had a custom chassis built for their business vehicle. Case in point is a stretch Hummer on a bus chassis.

I don't know about teaching wrap design to someone. It's kinda like doing a large format mural but with a message. The message has to be legible at 60 mph on the highway and look good while standing still. The whole part about removing emblems, lights and hardware and not damaging the original paint thing also applies toward a good looking wrap but doesn't help in the design. You learn to deal with resolution. You look for wrap resources (like Aurora and Fellers.) You look for seminars in wrap application (might want to check out the next SGIA show in Atlanta.) But at the end of the day, it's all about your client's message, and if the wrap doesn't convey that, you have failed and the client won't be back. Without a formal education in the ins and outs of client messaging you may be starting behind the 8-ball.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Craig B
          Reply to Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
          Craig B
          I think what you described is fairly typical of most jobs. I'm not saying it's identical but I do web design, email design, interactive apps, collateral, booth graphics, signage, posters, advertising,...
          Today, 10:46 AM
        • Colton819
          Reply to Getting a image ready for print
          Colton819
          So I tried doing Pantone colors but obviously they just couldn’t match close enough. The image I posted is actually a vector format I created a raster format then converted to vector in illustrator. I...
          Today, 08:47 AM
        • leaagg
          Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
          leaagg
          Hello,

I am a French designer working for a Turkish company (in turkey).
          I am now currently working on my updated portfolio because my main goal is QUIT !! The working conditions in...
          Today, 07:57 AM
        • PrintDriver
          Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
          PrintDriver
          Do people still use QR codes?
          Two phones ago I downloaded an app just to check that a client's QR code was linking properly when printed. 4 years later now, and that app has never been used again....
          Today, 07:06 AM
        • PrintDriver
          Comment on Getting a image ready for print
          PrintDriver
          Way too much sharing there, hank..........
          Today, 06:51 AM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X