Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Who else drove themselves crazy during the first weeks of freelancing? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• MalcolmTheCat
    Reply to Cafe Logo
    MalcolmTheCat
    I updated the design to hopefully remove the...unwanted imagery people see, (Istill don't,) and to make the 3 cups aspect of it clearer. I dropped the directional arrow and removed the name (that still...
    Today, 06:08 PM
  • MalcolmTheCat
    Comment on Cafe Logo
    MalcolmTheCat
    Seamas, I didn't get to see the Tesco thing, but, since I live in the US, that's not really a surprise. It does make you wonder how things like that get through. I used to work at a competitor, Sainsbury's....
    Today, 05:51 PM
  • MalcolmTheCat
    Comment on Cafe Logo
    MalcolmTheCat
    I know the owners.
    Today, 05:47 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Logo critique
    seamas
    Though I am not personally offended by mocking religion or religious figures, your client is a dumbass if they want to use such mockery as a business name.

But as a person...
    Today, 05:43 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Final Art Disclaimer
    kemingMatters
    Pay a lawyer to either review yours or write one up for you.
    Today, 05:40 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who else drove themselves crazy during the first weeks of freelancing?

I'm having two minor problems here...

1. I don't stop working. I wake up, start working around 8am, take a few breaks and then stop around 8-10pm. On weekends I work probably 4-6 hours a day. This isn't healthy.

2. I never leave the freakin' house except to visit clients!

Did any of you suffer through these problems? I seriously need to set rules for myself or I'm going to burn out...
    *insert inane quote here*

Yeah, I hear ya.
    When times are good and I am slammed, I do the same. Wake up at 7, start working right off, take the dogs out to pee 3x before DH gets home and handles the last 2 pees, and I don't stop until, oh, 12-1:00. That's been my schedule for a week now. I DID take half days off this weekend, but still... I want a day off!

I leave the house once in a while. I do get pretty stir-crazy. What's sad is, DH works outside the home, so on weekends he's happy to BE home and I want to get OUT. lol.

I try hard to set aside a weekday (where DH isn't home) where I can go off and do fun stuff. This usually means working in the yard, but I like that so it's okay.

You WILL burn out if you keep that schedule. I try to keep normal-ish hours, really I do. But it's 10:30 and I just stopped working, mainly because I can't stop yawning!

In slower times, I try to go out walking, get the mind off the "it's slow... what do I do now" thoughts. I let things go and work my mind in other avenues. I'll work half days when its slow - all morning, then in the afternoon I can bake bread or make a fabulous dinner or something. Or teach the dogs something new.
    it's deadline and I'm GROUCHY.

Comment

Slow down Rocket! Unless these are all billable hours then yahoo - rack it up while you can! If they're not all billable hours, stop it right now! Yeah, look who's talking! 11pm and I'm out here checking emails. But I did take today off.

Don't forget why you're doing this. It is easy to eat, drink and live this job. But you want your own time too. I like GG's idea of setting aside some time for yourself. Enjoy being your own boss! One of the small treats I give myself is a 40 minute siesta after lunch - it's like getting a second wind for the afternoon! I turn everything off and lock the door and set the timer for 40 minutes & take a quick nap! It's great!

Comment

you need to pace yourself - i'm ftp'n files right now after working "normal" full time day and just finished 5 hours of freelance. if you're working full time, you need to inform your clients of your limited time available to work on projects. if they can't deal with it, recommend someone else - the favor will be returned. work only billable hours (whenever possible - we all have our problem files)

do what balou said - set a time a side for personal time, shut your phone off, crank the tunes and relax. you'll recharge and feel better.

Comment

I've been on 15 hours a day for the last 6 years but, remember there are 24 hours in a day

But seriously you should take a break, remember you are your own boss, you just need to manage your time so you can build in time for yourself
          Web Design and Graphic Design

Comment

RP if your getting slammed, might be time to partner with a local designer or designer friend, or hire a new grad as a production artist for a short while. You shouldn't be going this nuts, I mean it's great your getting business, but you also need to live. Running your own business is going to be more hours than a reg FT job, but it shouldn't be your complete life...that'll become a detriment to everything else you live for.
            Tapp-d
            "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Drorain
              RP if your getting slammed, might be time to partner with a local designer or designer friend, or hire a new grad as a production artist for a short while. You shouldn't be going this nuts, I mean it's great your getting business, but you also need to live. Running your own business is going to be more hours than a reg FT job, but it shouldn't be your complete life...that'll become a detriment to everything else you live for.
              Good idea.
              Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
              - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
              Working...
              X