Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock image resources suggestions

Hi guys.
    I have never used many stock images for my work, but I want to give some more depth to my portfolio for logo application and a few other things. Also, stock images for potential use with print design.

What are you guys favorite/go to resources for stock images?

Is something like adobe stock with a monthly subscription the way to go, or should stock images just be purchased one at a time?

I appreciate any input! I am completely new to this.

Thanks

You shouldn't be using raster stock images in logo design. And 99% of stock imagery AND clip art is not allowed to be used in logos. Read your EULA carefully.
    Maybe in presentation situations you'd use a raster image, where you put the vector logo on a raster image, but normally that is done by photographing where you are going to place the logo, ie on a specific wall or desk or tradeshow booth to give the client an idea of the look in situ.

I have literally over 100 image sources. Not all of them would be considered stock, though all require some kind of license. Some are general like Getty and iStock and 123RF and Shutterstock. Others are more specific like NatGeo, DigitalGlobe, ScienceSource and ArtRes.

Whether or not you buy a single image or a whole subscription depends on your working model. There is another option where you can purchase credits, where the more credits you buy at any one time the less you pay per credit. Places like iStock (as an example, one of many) offer both credit and subscription systems. For instance one image here or there is not worth the price of a subscription. A whole project being done using iStock Royalty Free imagery might make buying credits more worthwhile.

Even with iStock though, you have to negotiate the cost of Rights Managed imagery based on usage so you are back to single image purchases, with the understanding that you can wangle discounts if you purchase several RM images at the same time for the same project from the same image source. It really isn't until you get to heavy hitter corporate accounts where you start thinking about subscriptions. A subscription limits you to one image source.

All stock sites allow comping. So it isn't like you have to purchase an image subscription to be able to show your client the image in their layout.

Two levels of licensing:
    Royalty Free
    Royalty Free is not free. They are usually lower cost than Rights Managed but you still have an RF license you have to abide by. You can get an Extended License on RF imagery for more money that covers more.

Rights Managed
    These are usually Special Collections or Featured Photographers who command higher pricing structure. Or they are Editorial and require special licensing and releases, or you have a use that just doesn't fit in RF.
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 01-11-2017, 11:55 AM.

Comment

When I can get my boss to part with money, I subscribe to iStock. How you choose to subscribe would depend on your circumstances. With iStock, you can purchase a limited number of images for a limited time (like you buy a one-month subscription with a limit of 25 images, for example). Or you can buy blocks of credits that you can use whenever you want. Generally, the subscriptions are a better value, but there's the time limit. You aren't supposed to stockpile images, so joining for a month to grab 100 images you may use sometime in the future could get you in trouble.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• mixlikes
        Reply to ​What is your favorite forum software?
        mixlikes
        Favorite forum software:
        1. phpBB
        2. MyBB
        3. Vanilla Forum
        4. XenForo
        5. Simple Machines Forum
        Today, 03:43 AM
      • Caleson
        Reply to Questions about Business Cards, Self Promotion
        Caleson
        Actually, I was referring to applying for employment. I'm kind of mixed on whether or not it would be a good idea, but I think overall, if the card is pretty creative, it could serve as a memorable token....
        Yesterday, 09:59 PM
      • fredz0003
        Logo critique for my personal blog
        fredz0003
        Hi, I am new to this forum. A bit about myself I am a programmer, and trying to build a professional looking blog. I've done web dev before, but I've never considered myself the artistic type. I followed...
        Yesterday, 04:57 PM
      • B
        Reply to Any Tech Geeks please help me?!
        B
        Of the options you mentioned, upgrading the RAM will make the most difference for the cost. Eight megabytes of RAM is almost a bare minimum when working with Adobe's graphics applications -- 16 is even...
        Yesterday, 04:56 PM
      • mrturner
        Any Tech Geeks please help me?!
        mrturner
        I am currently doing my graphics design work on my laptop which specs are listed below, It really does struggle to handle software like photoshop and illustrator. Do I, upgrade RAM? An 8GB ram stick for...
        Yesterday, 04:16 PM
      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
      Working...
      X