EPS colour showing wrong. Urgently need help / answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPS colour showing wrong. Urgently need help / answer

Hi, I use illustrator to create and generate files , predominantly for logos, and mostly in CMYK colour space. And I include a saved as .EPS file.
    I just had a client ask me about the color being off, when he previews the EPS file on his mac computer. When he double clicks it, however it comes up in correct colours.
    I use a windows pc, so I cannot actually replicate what he is doing, or how he sees this.
    The problem is, his signage people want the EPS file, and have sent him a mock up of the logo, in outrageously bright colours. See attached > Shop Proof.png
    I am also attaching a preview of the logo in correct colours > logo greenweb.png
    SHort of supplying them with a Logo Identity file, how can I assure the client, that the file is correct?
    Thank you
    Attached Files

Oh My Goodness are they really going to put that ugly sign at that size on that really cool old brick and stone building???

As to your problem:

A. you should always supply your client with a brand standard stating what color the logo should be in some sort of standard color matching system, usually either Pantone, LAB or any of the Euro products out there, depending on where you are located. That is going to be the only way to get an accurate color match. For a logo, I'd even go so far as to supply RAL, cut vinyl colors, (here in the states) I might even supply both Matthews automotive and a common hardware store paint color.

B. EPS files are obsolete. Even if the sign shop asked for one. There are too many ways to improperly save an .eps to figure out what you (or they) did wrong here, but I'm guessing it is some sort of embedded RGB profile. At least that is the first thing I'd check based on the color result.
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 01-29-2017, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Hi Lhgraphics and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
        Oh My Goodness are they really going to put that ugly sign at that size on that really cool old brick and stone building???

As to your problem:

A. you should always supply your client with a brand standard stating what color the logo should be in some sort of standard color matching system, usually either Pantone, LAB or any of the Euro products out there, depending on where you are located. That is going to be the only way to get an accurate color match. For a logo, I'd even go so far as to supply RAL, cut vinyl colors, (here in the states) I might even supply both Matthews automotive and a common hardware store paint color.

B. EPS files are obsolete. Even if the sign shop asked for one. There are too many ways to improperly save an .eps to figure out what you (or they) did wrong here, but I'm guessing it is some sort of embedded RGB profile. At least that is the first thing I'd check based on the color result.

Thank you, I am located in Australia. My file pack usually consists or .AI .PDF .EPS + .PNG .JPG. I supply artwork on a regular basis for another client to his printers, and he always just uses a PDF, even for signs that big.

The colour codes I want (and using on my illustrator program for the green show as
        HEX # aeca36
        RGB 174,202,54
        CMYK 37,3,100,0

but if I put the CMYK code into something like https://www.colorcodehex.com/html-color-picker.html i get a BRIGHT GREEN equivalent to HEX 9CF700

I am at a total loss.

If I were getting business cards printed, I would use the PDF showing the hex colour, and not think about it again

I have put together a mini Logo Style Guide, with the HEX, RGB + CMYK (but now i dont know if I should use CMYK if I am getting such varied results

Comment

Have found an answer. Sort of

I spoke with the printer who did the mock up. Turns out he used the previously issued EPS file, which was a navy blue + grey combo, and he just selected a green for mock up purposes. Nothing in relation to any colour I had selected!!!

Plus, he will do a print proof, with the files I will supply him with, in the green I have used.

What a stressful Sunday I have had, thinking it was my fault, and trying to fix it.

But, the actual CMYK discrepancy is still an issue

Comment

The colour codes I want (and using on my illustrator program for the green show as
            HEX # aeca36
            RGB 174,202,54
            CMYK 37,3,100,0

but if I put the CMYK code into something like https://www.colorcodehex.com/html-color-picker.html i get a BRIGHT GREEN equivalent to HEX 9CF700
            If you sent me a PDF to make a sign that big (it's part of the job I do,) I would call you and ask you for a Pantone number for your green (or other color system callout that might be used in Australia.) Or I'd ask you to send me a physical swatch of the color you intended.

A Hex number shouldn't even be part of this conversation when you are going to print. A Hex number is an RGB color used for web work. That hex green is going to look different on my monitor, your monitor, the guy down the street's monitor...

Even CMYK will give imperfect results because sign guys use machinery with much wider color gamuts and very different inksets from the conventional printers the CMYK system was made for. If you sent me a PDF with a CMYK color in it, I'd call you and ask you for a Pantone number for your green (or other color system callout that might be used in Australia.) Or I'd ask you to send me a physical swatch of the color you intended. Or, if you told me to, I'd just run it on a system profile for the media and the machine and you get what you get. I'd highly suggest you get a proof.

I'm not sure where you are getting your clients' business cards printed but... well...... maybe you've been lucky so far.

That color picker you linked is way off the mark. My standard ''guess-a-pantone-match'' program is Photoshop. When I put in your CMYK numbers I get aeca37 for a Hex number, not aeca36. The CMYK numbers are fairly close to your original pea-soup green. But even that can vary depending on the profile and is not exactly something I would normally do unless pushed really hard.

When color matching becomes critical, you need to use a color standard. I don't particularly like Pantone because they tend to change things up every 10 years or so, and every year they issue a new set of books which may or may not exactly match the set you bought last year. You don't expect a ''standard'' to change. Clients don't realize that we can get a delta e of up to 3 points on matching between books. If color is so very critical, we ask them to supply a chip. Pantone makes books with tearouts just for that purpose.

Toyo is another system that is fairly common.

LAB is another color space that more printers are starting to use. In theory it is all number driven, but still... when print machines are subject to the vagaries of high pressure systems and low humidity (literally!) it is sometimes difficult to match anything exactly.

And the best part of all this? Digital printing in the sign industry doesn't use Pantone inks. We don't use spot colors in the manner that spot colors were intended to be used. We print with some variation of CMYK, LC, LM, LK, and sometimes even OGV. If a color match is spot-on critical and the media/machine profile can't hit it, we take our pantone swatch deck and we go out to the 5000k light booth and using a printed chart find the machine numbers that should match your pantone and then plug them into your file. If we can't find the right numbers, we do a shotgun print in the vicinity of something that comes close and see if a set of numbers matches. There are about 20% of Pantone colors that can't be hit in digital printing.

/rant
            Last edited by PrintDriver; 01-29-2017, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Firstly, my apologies for not replying earlier. Have had an extremely busy week, and forgot to check in here. I need to go and find the settings to turn on and receive notifications to new replies.

Secondly, Print Driver, Thank yous sooooooo much for explaining things. Pantone seems the preferred choice in Australia - from what I can gather.

I went down to the local printer that is doing all the stationery for antony&edwards, and phew, the colour looks spot on + perfect.

I ended up having a nice chat with the owner, told him I started doing logo design and graphic design a couple of years ago, by sort of falling into it (I was working as an architectural draftsperson, and happened across a design crowdsourcing platform, had a bit of success, and have slowly been working on my portfolio and advertising and getting private clients) and have launched this year, into going freelance full time - or my hours anyway.

I continued to tell the owner that I did not go to study graphic design, so the whole printing, colours, etc, is something I know nothing about. Well, he showed me his pantone swatch bible, I guess. I asked where I can get one and how much they are. Next thing, he walked off, started rummaging through his filing cabinet, came back, and told me I could have that swatch!!! Apparently they had just received a new one, and the old one had some outdated colours in it, but otherwise is still good, and seeing as how I am only starting out, he was happy to do that. He also asked for my business cards to put uot the front, and said he would contact me if he, or anyone came in looking for design work outside of their scope (as they don;t really do design as such).

So I came away very happy, and appreciative of the owners kindness.

BTW - "pea-soup green' spot on description. I was trying to explain it a bright , but not fluro green, with a slight olive undertone. pea-soup green hits it right on the head.

lol

THank you again

Comment

I have also downloaded to trail out the PANTONE COLOR MANAGER Software

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• iwebsitez
                  Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
                  iwebsitez
                  I quite like it to be honest, it's not too stuffed but it's clean, easy to remember! Well done Dan.
                  Today, 11:18 AM
                • Craig B
                  Reply to Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                  Craig B
                  I think what you described is fairly typical of most jobs. I'm not saying it's identical but I do web design, email design, interactive apps, collateral, booth graphics, signage, posters, advertising,...
                  Today, 10:46 AM
                • Colton819
                  Reply to Getting a image ready for print
                  Colton819
                  So I tried doing Pantone colors but obviously they just couldn’t match close enough. The image I posted is actually a vector format I created a raster format then converted to vector in illustrator. I...
                  Today, 08:47 AM
                • leaagg
                  Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                  leaagg
                  Hello,

I am a French designer working for a Turkish company (in turkey).
                  I am now currently working on my updated portfolio because my main goal is QUIT !! The working conditions in...
                  Today, 07:57 AM
                • PrintDriver
                  Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
                  PrintDriver
                  Do people still use QR codes?
                  Two phones ago I downloaded an app just to check that a client's QR code was linking properly when printed. 4 years later now, and that app has never been used again....
                  Today, 07:06 AM
                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X