Fonts for logo design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fonts for logo design

Hello everyone, I started learning logo design couple of months ago and was wondering what kind of fonts are essential for a graphic designer?

''What kind of fonts are essential for a graphic designer?''
    Fonts that work.
    I've been printing stuff for nearly 20 years now, and still, about 20% of freeware fonts do really dumb things in a print rip. There are some really poorly created fonts out there. Not poorly created in aesthetics, but poor in creation of their software code. There is nothing worse than spending a whole lot of time on a well-purposed design only to have half the characters or all of the glyphs fall out at the print stage, a recipe for lots of tears and chin quivers.

Source your fonts properly, test when necessary, and any font that works for the design at hand is the most essential font a graphic designer can have.

As for just starting to learn logo design, I'm assuming in a class? Because logo design encompasses more than just pretty pictures. There's all kinds of studied theory that goes into a logo design. Color theory, typography theory, marketing theory, analytics theory, feasibility theory, mechanical theory, etc.

I am a very firm believer that no one should be able to create logos that hasn't worked in a sign shop for at least 3 years.
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 02-12-2017, 08:07 AM.

Comment

• Pandorino
      Pandorino commented
      Editing a comment
      PrintDriver - What do you think about the Google Fonts library?

(Btw, the auto corrector of Android suggested the name 'Google Don't library', hope that's not your opinion ahah)

Hi Saulius and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I always outline fonts before considering a logo file complete, partly for the reason that PD said, partly because I don't want other people playing around with the proportions. I spend a lot of time getting kerning and size just right, so I'm going to make that final file as final as final can be. So, whether the font is good or not for the printer matters less to me because they're going to get a vector file that has no fonts in it anyway.

A good font for a logo is one that works for the logo and that depends on all the factors you take into consideration when designing it.

Comment

I prefer to buy fonts from their foundries. That way I know they haven't been messed with. But that's just me. I don't particularly care where you get them.
        Just read the EULA to be sure you can use them commercially. Especially freeware or shareware fonts.

Yes, fonts in logos should be converted to shapes. Not only because of bad font files, not every sign guy owns every font in the galaxy. You don't ever want a bad substitution to happen in a logo. Not under any circumstances. Don't forget to convert your tagline and your or TM to shapes as well.
        Last edited by PrintDriver; 02-12-2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Every graphic designer should have their own small well honed collection of go-to typefaces.

But that doesn't mean they're suitable for a brand's identity in terms of logo design. In fact, I'm dead against using out-of-the-box fonts for any logo, period.

The expression of a letter shape should be unique to each logo/brand with no two logos having the same expression.

But in general terms there are some standard points of departure, for instance using a high contrast letter shape commonly seen in the fashion industry, a bespoke letter shape or humanist for the food industry, a sturdy sans letter shape for something more corporate, etc.,etc..

Comment

Interesting article on fashion industry logos.
            https://fashion-marketer.com/2014/05...ew_complexity/

I'm not a fan of putting anything in boxes at all. There is no rule that ''more corporate'' is sans serif. That just happens to be a trend right now. Quite a few companies only recently ditched their serifed logos. Not sure why. Now most of them look like a ''generic'' brand in stick figures.
            Eh.
            Things change.

Designers can have a font kit (wink wink) but don't ever get yourself into a rut of only using your usual go-to fonts. Quite often you won't be given a choice but to use provided corporate fonts. Especially if those corporate fonts are proprietary. Other times, none of your go-to fonts will be suitable for a project at hand. Graphic Design is ever-evolving. Keep up or get run over.
            Last edited by PrintDriver; 02-13-2017, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X