Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Design studies for working as graphic designer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design studies for working as graphic designer?

Hi guys, I study culture and communication science in north Italy (Bachelor studying) and am going to graduate next month. However, I am searching for a job in the field of graphic design right now. I want to work in that field even if it doesn't relate that much with my studying. I already did an internship in graphic design and know to use the Adobe programs. I personaly would prefer to start working in that field now but I don't know if I lower my chances for the future to find a good job without a degree in the direction design, or if it doesn't matter as soon as I have some more work experience and a nice porttfolio. Do some of you have any personal experience? Are there some career changers who started to work as graphic designers and would you suggest me to do a master studying in design? Every answer will be a great help, thank you in advance!

If you can get a job without a degree, go for it. Not sure how things are in Italy, but here in the US, without a degree, it's tough to get that first job.
    In fact, here, entry level is a 4-year degree and 2 years of experience and I'd highly recommend any student of design to get a paying job in some facet of the field to get that experience and build that portfolio even though they are still a student.

Since your Bachelor study isn't in Graphic Design, you present an interesting case. A lot of times we'd suggest you don't go for a Masters in Design but in some related field. Wait a few years also, so you have a better idea how to apply your studies and give you time to mature a bit so the dissertation part can be worthwhile rather than something everyone has done before. The other thing about a Masters in Graphic Design, potential employers may not want to hire you as a Masters carries with it some salary expectations they might not be willing to offer.

Good luck out there.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Artsychica
      Reply to Google Fiber
      Artsychica
      I'm in Charlotte where they've installed it but it never made it to my house. Supposedly the lots in my neighborhood are too spaced out to make installation worth it.
      Yesterday, 08:37 PM
    • Artsychica
      Reply to What do you think about design of this site
      Artsychica
      It also feels a bit busy and unorganized. I didn't really get graphic design from seeing it. That said, it does look professional. I'm just not fully getting the intended message from what you've pre...
      Yesterday, 08:27 PM
    • Artsychica
      Reply to Dream jobs?
      Artsychica
      I'm a student as well so my knowledge is limited, but as it stands today I'd really like to find a job in an agency that does food related marketing projects. We actually have a company in Charlotte that...
      Yesterday, 08:21 PM
    • KitchWitch
      Reply to Hi guys im new
      KitchWitch
      Hi Penguinruwan and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
      Yesterday, 01:24 PM
    • PrintDriver
      Reply to Hi guys im new
      PrintDriver
      Not quite sure what to tell you.
      The profession of graphic design is not learned by watching tricks on Youtube or learning the software buttons. There is quite a bit of theory that goes into a good...
      Yesterday, 01:22 PM
    GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
    Working...
    X