Proper Use of Borders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Use of Borders

I have a company logo I'm currently working with that I've been asked to transfer to a black background. A segment of the current logo has a five pointed star on a white disc with two red rings as a border. I can't quite remember but I'm sure I've come across guidelines or principles that say in such a situation there should a distinct border between the white disc and the black background and therefore the outer red ring should be omitted. Am I right? Does anyone know the term for this or where I should be looking for more information on this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gym logo.png
Views:	4
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	20985
    Attached Files

There is no rule saying you should mangle a logo because another rule says so.
    I've seen brand standards that require an outer white border when the logo is on any other background color besides white.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	pats.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	20986

I've also seen brand standards that specify absolutely no white border on background colors other than white. Species specific.

On this one you posted, if it came to me and I was told to put it on a black background, I would question if the ring between the two skinny borders is black, not white to match the center. Your solution sure looks better, but is it acceptable to the client?

As for the skinny borders, they don't read well on the white background either. The rings on the white background version almost look hand drawn. As in they are so skinny the jpg artifacts are making them look wonky.

Comment

Hi Bfmaterial and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

And what's to say that the inner ring has to be white? Maybe it's really transparent so the fill would be black on a dark background too. There's several ways you could go on this... if there's no existing guidelines from the company then I'd try different things and see what looks best.

Comment

There's no rule for something like this. Someone at some time might have come up with some sort of rule of thumb, but I've never heard of it, and would pay it no mind if I did. The rule that trumps all rules in graphic design is do what works for the situation at hand.

Comment

Well thanks for the responses, I suppose when you look around at other examples, the Patriot's logo being a good one, there's no shortage of ways to handle this situation.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• seedpress
              ICC Profile that Won't Soft Proof?
              seedpress
              Recently I contacted a printer manufacturer to request ICC profiles for their printers.

Here's what they wrote:
              Our graphic workflow uses ICC profiles when converting and preparing...
              Yesterday, 08:47 PM
            • Jeohs1111
              Logo Design for Sports Conpany
              Jeohs1111
              I am searching for a web designer to create a logo for a Combine and Showcase for high school athletics.
              The website will also feature athletic training and youth camps.
              The name of the organization...
              Yesterday, 07:30 PM
            • Protagonist
              Reply to two posters
              Protagonist
              The color balance is off on the two right side characters in the Hannibal poster. It looks like you tried darkening the images with a curves adjustment which introduced a lot of noise and turned them...
              Yesterday, 01:28 PM
            • B
              Reply to CMYK - black and white?
              B
              Four-color process will give you a richer-looking print than the flat and sometimes lifeless look of a B&W halftone. As pointed out, though, even the slightest variation in ink densities will noticeably...
              Yesterday, 10:53 AM
            • hectorclark
              Reply to two posters
              hectorclark
              Hey, It's really creative works. Best wishes for you. Carry on....
              04-29-2017, 01:05 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X