Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Format 3D

Hello to all.

Here's what I am trying to do. The company I work for has a large format inkjet that we run flooring or wood planks through. So its a giant printer that can do substrates up to 3 inches thick and 40 inches wide and "infinite" length.

So we want to try to do flooring that looks like a cliff someone would fall from, or a pond scene where it appears that you will walk in the water, or perhaps one that has a shark coming out of the floor. Trying to create an illusion that the floor is a nature scene or something.

So I can find plenty of examples online of this but not where I can find the actual images. I am assuming that some of these would be vector images. I would run the job in sections. Probably 40"x80" FWI

So is there some resource other than the normal stock photo/image places? I have looked through all of them I think. I would guess that this is pretty specialized.

I am more of a graphic designer type that generally does not create images.

Thank you.
    Tom

Hi ThomasC and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Not sure how the "a" got on the end of "3D". It was a typo in case someone is thinking there is a new 3Da format. lol

Comment

• KitchWitch
        KitchWitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Fixed.

Have you looked into Lenticular lenses? Some of the direct to substrate print machines have the registration to do this type of print directly on the lens. Lots of R&D though. Not sure about using them on a floor. Bend the lenses and they don't work any more. Maybe put them under a clear marley or something. Anyway....

As for the imagery, you may have to composite your own. For large format stuff like looking off a cliff, you may have to reach out to some of the higher end photographers that work for the likes of NatGeoCreative. Some of them may even have chrome you can get drum scanned for a high enough resolution to fool the masses at viewing distance. Good luck getting any kind of commercial license though.

This isn't a new concept. Museums and corporate spaces have been doing them for years. There are even off the shelf items for residential installs.

The 3D stuff I get to order, the lenticular stuff, it's all composited from various stock sources and layered to get that type of 3D effect. Either I do it, or if it's really involved, we hire a photoshop artist who is much faster at it.
      Last edited by PrintDriver; 05-18-2017, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Thank you PrintDriver. I haven't looked into lenticular lenses but that is very interesting. I will have to do some research on the subject in general.

So the "off the shelf" items for residential installs are probably something created specifically for that purpose and not a general stock image. Which means we would have to create our own image if we are going to do something like that.

Thanks again,
        ​Tom

Comment

I saw this while surfing images and immediately thought of this thread. LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 6.35.07 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	21216

Comment

• HotButton
            HotButton commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahah!

Not the worst attempt I've seen, but there's an awful lot wrong with it. Looks like it's just a mockup anyway...

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X