JPEG bleed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JPEG bleed

hi ,im new at graphic design.So please some one tell me if there is any option for showing bleed on JPEG file in illustrator?I mean without saving file in pdf format is there is any option for showing bleed in JPEG format file.

You can set bleeds easily enough in Illustrator, but I don't understand the JPEG part of what you're saying. Illustrator is a vector-based drawing application. What are you doing that involves JPEGs in Illustrator?

Are you exporting to JPEG and expecting to maintain the bleeds you set in Illustrator? If so, no, you can't really do that. JPEG isn't typically a format that lends itself to uses that require bleeds. Assuming you have a good reason, though, just build the bleeds directly into the artwork manually. For example, if you need a 5x5-inch cropped print, just make the artboard 5.25x5.25 inches, which would give you the equivalent of 1/8"-inch full bleed to work with.
    Last edited by B; 05-18-2017, 05:46 PM.

Comment

thanks B

Comment

Hi Kh emon and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by "kh emon"'
          Thanks B .please tell me one thing please ,in business card design when i design business card with bleed mark nd export it to JPEG format ,it doesn't contain any bleed mark.in fiverr the clients provides their buyer business card service at X$ and they they also added that at X$ dollar they can give buyer printable JPEG file.But my question is it,IS JPEG format file is for printing nd in this JPEG format it doesn't show any bleed marks.without bleed marks how can the design will be perfect?
          No offense intended, but Fiverr is nothing but a place for amateurs to make a few dollars providing grossly inferior work to people think they can get something for a few dollars that would normally cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. It's basically a legal scam operation that provides a venue for selling junk to ignorant buyers.

JPEG is not a format for printing business cards. JPEG is a format for reducing the size of photos. It's what's called a lossy format in that it reduces the file size by discarding differing amounts irretrievable data from the file that depend upon the amount of JPEG compression applied to the file. In photos, much of the information can actually be discarded without it being noticeable to a viewer, which makes JPEG a good format for storing photos when disk space is limited. JPEG is also a good format for squeezing down graphics for the web to make load time faster by sacrificing a bit of image quality.

JPEG is completely inappropriate for printing anything that contains typography since there is no data in type that can be discarded without noticeably affecting the quality and sharpness of the typography. JPEG is also, typically, an RGB format that can only be displayed on monitors. When RGB is printed, it must first be converted to some variation of CMYK. The end result is that black type ends up being, not a solid black, but a combination of all the ink or toner colors. This invariably leads to registration problems with the typography and little color edges on the type. In addition, the printing of typography should be done directly from vector-based glyphs in the font. The reason for this is so that the scalability of the vector data can be used by the output device to print out the type at the highest resolution of that output device, which is typically 1,200 to 4,000 dpi instead of much lower resolutions required for photos. Converting that Illustrator typography to a raster format, like JPEG, reduces that resolution to that of a photo, which once again, creates typography that will look terrible.

The reason a JPEG export doesn't contain bleeds is for the simple reason that JPEG is a format that is not suitable for printing layouts of any sort. Just about the only use for a JPEG export in Illustrator is to squeeze down graphics for display on websites, and no bleed is needed for that.

So that brings it back to Fiverr, which like I said is little more than a legal scam. Providing buyers JPEGed business card files is completely consistent with Fiverr's business model of selling junk to people who don't know better.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Kdigennaro
            Reply to Feedback for a poster design
            Kdigennaro
            I like that you are answering the 'why' questions. Why is the text background red, why are you using the crumbled paper texture etc.

This shows that you are thinking threw what you are doing...
            Today, 08:38 PM
          • Kdigennaro
            What - If any - Certifications are taken seriously these days?
            Kdigennaro
            Hey guys,

I have been designing for about 10 years now as a freelancer and am entertaining the idea of trying to find a job at a creative firm. Right now I'm building my resume and portfolio...
            Today, 07:30 PM
          • Kdigennaro
            Reply to Business card logo feedback
            Kdigennaro
            Hey @someguy,

Thanks for sharing your designs! I would encourage and challenge you to try to narrow your design focus. Right now none of the designs are 'bad' but none are 'good'. Design,...
            Today, 07:10 PM
          • someguy
            Business card logo feedback
            someguy
            Hi all,

Got some really smart and creative advice on some early business card designs from this forum, went away and worked on one of the designs and two new ones.

Could I ask...
            Today, 11:56 AM
          • nes_bambi
            Feedback for a poster design
            nes_bambi
            Hi all, I am very new to graphics design and I am currently taking my first ever elective in design.

Here is the brief for my assignment:

This studio project explores typography...
            Today, 09:38 AM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X