Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed with a RBG > CMYK colour issue!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with a RBG > CMYK colour issue!

Hi everyone, I am hoping to get a second opinion on a colour issue I am having. Attached is part of an image from a client logo I created. You will see that the image on the RGB the pink is nice and vivid but on the other is how it looks in CMYK - all washed out and more like a dull purple I have tried everything I could think of, playing around in Photoshop with levels, filters, layer adjustments etc to replicate a similar shade in CMYK but so far no good. Frustrating! Any help or advice appreciated as my client loves the vivid pink and wants to retain this on business cards etc. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Hi Eyewel333 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

1. Unless you are confusing the word 'logo' with something else, this piece of art is not a logo.
      2. Logos aren't created in Photoshop.
      3. About the only way to get that vivid pink is to specify it as a spot color, which combined with all the art going on in that piece, means your client will be paying for 4-color plus one when they get anything printed. That can get expensive. Or they live with the conversion of a 3-color RGB to a 4-color CMYK color that is not quite as vivid as they want. Or perhaps you design it in CMYK to begin with? Bearing in mind a professional would never offer their client a logo built in Photoshop. Not even if the client is using it web-only, which this client has clearly specified they are not.

Comment

Furthermore, the pink problem is just the beginning. None of the color used in this gradient-fest is going to process-print in a way that resembles the on-screen appearance.

These facts:
        • You designed a piece of raster artwork full of RGB colors, gradients, and transparency
        • You're calling that artwork "part of an image from a client logo"
        • You had an unrealistic expectation of its convertibility to CMYK
        • You showed it to the client and propagated that unrealistic expectation downstream
        ...all betray your relative inexperience as a graphic designer, let alone one that is sufficiently seasoned to offer logo design. I know this might be construed as overly harsh, but frankly, if this is paid client work, and you represented yourself as qualified to do it, you may be guilty of fraud.

Any help or advice appreciated
        Apologize and bow out before you get yourself in any deeper.
        I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Wow.... I think I have just met the Fanny Craddock of graphic design. Brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by eyewel333 View Post
            Wow.... I think I have just met the Fanny Craddock of graphic design. Brilliant
            Nah, I'm not as far inside my own opinions as Fanny was. And you're no Johnnie either. In fact my assessment of your situation was simply objective, but perhaps I like your evaluation better. ('Brilliant')
            I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Hmm, are you sure? You seem pretty far inside them to me..... And how do you know I'm no Johnnie?

Comment

• HotButton
                HotButton commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, my post contained no opinions, and Johnnie would have never brought up the subject of Fanny unsolicited. So yeah, I'm sure.

• eyewel333
                eyewel333 commented
                Editing a comment
                Great. So very happy for you. Have a lovely time at charm school.

I'd look up the wiki description of Johnnie Cradock before copping to that. LOL.
              <I had to look both those up. I grew up with Graham Kerr...>
              Last edited by PrintDriver; 06-26-2017, 05:59 PM.

Comment

HotButton might not be as diplomatic as he could have been, but the essence of what he said is correct.

The artwork you've created — as nice as it might look — isn't within the bounds of typical logo design. In general, logos need to be quite simple so they can be reproduced in many different ways under many different reproduction limitations. It's not that more elaborate versions of a logo can't be created, it's just that there also needs to be a basic version that can print, for example, on the side of a ballpoint pen or made into a rubber stamp or etched into glass or cut from vinyl or embroidered on a hat or screen printed on a t-shirt or pad printed on a promotional water bottle.

You've already hit one of those limitations: your artwork's colors can't be reproduced in CMYK. RGB is additive color (red, green and blue light shining directly from a light source). CMYK is subtractive color (light reflected off a surface layered with cyan, magenta, yellow, black ink). The CMYK simulation in Photoshop shows roughly what the image will look like when it's printed. There's really no way around this. Some colors -- especially very vivid hues -- just can't be reproduced in CMYK. Unfortunately, that pink isn't going to look like you want it to, and that gold isn't going to look like shiny metal once it's printed. Sorry.
                Last edited by B; 06-27-2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks The busy mod, you are right. I can appreciate what HotButton said, just not the way he said it, rude, condescending and arrogant. I mean really?! That is why I found it laughable. Epic fail on the diplomacy, especially inferring what he did knowing nothing about me, my background, or the context of this project. Just rude, rude, rude and totally uncalled for.

The fact is, this design is a total one off... all the other many logos I have designed have all been vectors, believe me I tried but the client was adamant they wanted an illustrative logo and when they saw this mocked up design her heart was set on it so the project just evolved this way as the requirements were what they were. It is part of a larger project which has included a website.

She is by the way, absolutely thrilled with both the logo and the website. It is just this last few technical issues that I am tying up. I have in fact spoken with her previously and informed her that the colours won't be the same in CMYK as this is a rather unique and complex logo creation so she is well aware of the limitations. All I was trying to do was see if there was a way I could tweak it to improve the colour as I thought there might be something I had not tried.

I am well versed in the fact that in general logos need to be simple believe me but like I said some projects have unique requirements as all designers should be able to appreciate. Also, the logo is only really to be used on the website header and business card, that's pretty much it as her offering is simple and straightforwards. Believe me I would not have gone with this design if it needed to be reproduced across lots of brand touch points and made to be much smaller.

Nothing to be sorry about, I appreciate your response. I found this one much more helpful than the other one. I have however been playing with the CMYK version and have found a solution I think will work for our purposes. Thank you

Comment

As PrintDriver mentioned, you could use a spot color for the pink and, possibly, even experiment around with metallic ink for the gold, but it will be more expensive to print and still won't yield the results you're after. At least you warned your client about the problem in advance. I'm glad you've found a solution that might work. Good luck.

Comment

It's going to be beyond expensive to print. you're looking at a 6 color job. CMYK + a Pantone Pink + Metallic Gold. (maybe you could get a way with a 2 color job in some fashion).

I know everyone before me has said not to design in photoshop. And they are right. I've been in print for well over a decade, And I see photoshop disasters almost every day.

BUT, since the work has already been done, what you're going to want to do is and try and get that pink as close as possible to a process color as you can. Luckily we are working with pink here, and your goal will be to try and get the color as close to pure Magenta as possible. No, it's not going to be the same color as your original design, but at least you'll get a digital print output that's pretty close to what you'll be showing your client.

And next time - open up illustrator or InDesign and do your best to learn these programs. Besides, Vector art will almost always trump bitmap images.
                      You wont have too many color issues (except with you navy blue, bright oranges, etc - you know, normal color issues Just remember your pantone colors (many of them anyway) can only be printed on an offset printing press. You'll never get that Reflex Blue to print digitally.

Comment

• eyewel333
                        eyewel333 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Biggs097. I appreciate your response, noted all that. Am working on the spot colour issue. As mentioned before though, this project is a one off. I normally never create logo artwork in Photoshop and probably won't ever again I have been using Illustrator and InDesign for years and I do know vector rules over pixels for logos.

Originally posted by eyewel333 View Post
                      ...the way he said it, rude, condescending and arrogant. I mean really?! That is why I found it laughable. Epic fail on the diplomacy, especially inferring what he did knowing nothing about me, my background, or the context of this project. Just rude, rude, rude and totally uncalled for.
                      Yeah, that's about right. Telling an even slightly unpleasant truth on the Internet these days ends up only one of two ways; coddle or offend. Without ever giving it much thought, I seem to most often choose...not coddle. For what it's worth, the intent in this case was more corrective than contentious, at least here in the mind where it formed. Over your reaction I have no control. Good luck to you.

Comment

on my semi-color correct monitor it looks like a straight-up Process magenta. It may not have to be a spot color.

Comment

• eyewel333
                          eyewel333 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks, good to know. I will continue testing it on a few different screens.

Originally posted by HotButton View Post

Yeah, that's about right. Telling an even slightly unpleasant truth on the Internet these days ends up only one of two ways; coddle or offend. Without ever giving it much thought, I seem to most often choose...not coddle. For what it's worth, the intent in this case was more corrective than contentious, at least here in the mind where it formed. Over your reaction I have no control. Good luck to you.

I have no problem with truth at all. I was more than ready to listen to advice. It's the being unpleasant just for the sake of it thing that is unfortunate as now the first impression I have of using GDF for the first time ever is a negative one. That falls to you. But hey, I wish you good luck too.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                        Working...
                        X