Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cards and Invitations

Hello,

I want to start creating my own cards and invitations to sell as a starting point for me. I was wondering how I go about the actual printing process. Should I be printing them myself, and if so on what type of printer? Or should I use a certain company/type of company to order from? Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Cards like in greeting cards?
    A starting point for what?
    What type of clientele are you hoping for?
    Is this something best served by the likes of Cafe Press or Zazzle?

Comment

Relatively speaking,
      I've saved more from having a company take care of the printing. Ink/toner alone can cost quite a bit.

Comment

Ink/toner are the contributing factors toward the failure of going it on your own. Inkjet inks run in the rain (if the mailed piece just happens to get wet.) Desktop laser toners don't particularly like sticking to any kind of paper with a good quality texture, or sometimes they crack when folded, or sometimes they just don't have the color saturation needed to make the piece look pretty. Any kind of professional printer will give you a far superior product to anything you could print at home on consumer quality equipment.

Comment

You'll also never find a desktop printer that will print on the weight of paper necessary for invites and cards. The lowest weight that customers would appreciate would be around 100# cover and even then a fair portion of clients may complain about thickness. 14 Point would be nice, but not even my $50K digital "press" can print that thick.

If you're going to do folding cards, you'll need a scoring device of somekind. Plus a cutter or trimmer to make full bleed cards.

These types of orders are often small volume - 100 - 150 pieces. So local print shops will prove expensive.

As print professional as well as graphic designer, if i'm ordering print, i'm ordering wholesale. But a lot of the online printers out there have pretty cheap pricing. But reselling from these printers could be a problem of ethics. If the client is browsing the web and seeing cheaper pricing, they may be more liable to buy your artwork and print themselves.

Comment

I wouldn't consider a markup of online products a question of ethics.
            I'd consider it a convenience fee.
            If the client wants to go to the work of purchasing the art licensing, then riding herd on getting it printed, I'm all for that.
            Have at it.
            Usually they only do it once and realize they could be using that time to do other things more important to themselves.

Comment

Fair enough Convenience fee. I can get down with that.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X