Carbon Fiber Gradient

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Fiber Gradient

Hi All. New here. Struggling to create a 'seamless' transition from black to yellow carbon fiber. Stronger in Illustrator, but Photoshop seems the way to go for this. I attached my attempt (in Illy) and an example of what I am looking to do. Any direction would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Files

Hi Briguyvt and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

How I'd go about this depends on the objective. All my past endeavors to simulate CF were for scale modeling purposes; printing custom decals. In those cases, I was able to make the patterns ruthlessly uniform, never worrying about sheen or other lighting effects because those would be products of clear-coating and actual light. But if you're working toward simulating a CF surface within a photo, then you need to simulate its often weird interactions with light digitally, much like the stock image sample you posted. In the latter case, you're best off making the pattern in near-neutral grays, then overlaying color and lighting effects with Photoshop layer techniques, e.g., blend modes, adjustment layers, layer masking, etc.

I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

• briguyvt
        briguyvt commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah could be pretty uniform. Sounds like a good start. Could I overlay the color as a gradient (PS is not my strong suit)?

Yes, there are many powerful ways to overlay color and lighting in Photoshop. Here's a route to basic gradient overly:

With your texture on a layer (not the Background layer; leave that blank or delete it), double-click the layer in the Layers panel to call up the Layer Style Dialog. On the left side of that dialog is a menu of layer-based effects, including Gradient Overlay. Make sure Preview is checked so you see the results of your actions immediately in the image, and then start experimenting.

Click the gradient color ramp at top-center and you'll see a set of presets, but to the top-right of the presets will be a menu icon...click that and choose New Gradient to get a dialog where you can set up a new one from scratch. Set the color stops to the black and yellow colors you want, then go back to the Gradient Overlay dialog to adjust opacity and try the various blend modes.

There will be some trial and error, especially until you get more comfortable to where you can start anticipating the results of your actions, but that's half the fun of this stuff. Let us know how it goes, and if you hit any snags.
      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
      Working...
      X