CD cover advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD cover advice

Hey guys, I'm currently designing a CD cover and I would like to hear your thoughts about placement of the title. It seems OK to me, but customer minds that the letter C is laying over the hourglass. What is your opinoin on this situation?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cc alter cover 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	21231
    Attached Files

Client is right. You can't fix a bad design choice by using a white transparency overlay. That white blot is more irksome than the text crossing the hourglass.

Comment

• woyta94
      woyta94 commented
      Editing a comment
      So what do you suggest?

I dont think the 'c' looks that bad to be honest, but if the client doesnt like it then you probably got no choice its gonna have to change.

Maybe split the text, cross country on left, across the time on right? But this probably will look thin and wide and not work aswell.

Or maybe keep the text as it is, and drop it into the bottom of the hourglass? Though the 'shine' effect in the centre works well where the text lands.

Hmm tricky to suggest something good, as I think the placement you already have is the obvious and best choice.

Comment

What about now?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	cc alter cover 2a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	21234

Comment

Why are you over-spacing the letters on the right side?
        Why do you insist on centering EVERYTHING?
        Why, ''Across the time''? What does that mean? ''Across Time'' maybe. The word ''the'' seems odd.
        Last edited by PrintDriver; 07-01-2017, 07:42 PM.

Comment

To be honest i prefer the first centered one even though it has the minor quirk with the 'C'. On second design I can see why you have spaced the letters on the right to get an overall balance...... then again on second look the second design does work for me too, plus the text is clearer, so this could work for the client if the priority is readability over style.

What i do when the client decides they wanna get hands on (tinker) with the detail, i draw a few options, tell them what will and wont work with each mockup, and get them to pick the direction to go (for better or worse). Usually they end up going along with the way you wanted to do it in the first place

Comment

It isn't just the C in the first version.
            That ''th'' of ''the'' is problematic as well.
            With both of these designs, the eye is drawn up from the dead center to that belly button in the sand. No one is reading the text in either case.

Since I'm not a fan of dead center focal points, I'd be tempted to try moving the entire design to the left or right with the text stacked to one side. More likely the hourglass shifted to the left because people tend to read left to right so that gives them the hourglass, then the text in the proper order. Stacking the text would eliminate the need for the bad kerrning.
            Right now the text and the hourglass are fighting for dominance - and the hourglass is winning.

The hourglass also reads as an hourglass with most of the top clipped too, so there is a possibility for some options there.

But that's just my opinion. Might not work on actual sketching.

I'm still curious about the rational for ''Across the time.''
            ''Cross Country - Across Time'' is more along the lines of grammatically correct.

Last edited by PrintDriver; 07-02-2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Frankly, I'd call this whole thing a scrap-and-start-over proposition. The difficulty with the type position is one thing, but the hourglass itself is just bizarre, and technically speaking, doesn't look anything like an actual hourglass would, could, or should. I don't really understand why a weakly contrived digital fake is in order for this. IMO, it doesn't achieve marketability.
              I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

• Kool
                Kool commented
                Editing a comment
                Heh heh, I thought the same thing when I saw this. Who cares about the type, what the heck is up with the sand LOL

I was trying to ignore the odd perspective of the digital art in the hourglass. That was why, perhaps clipping most of the top section works. It gets rid of the worst of that odd perspective issue.

Comment

I too dislike having the center of the composition being a focal point. Makes for a static composition.

You absolutely MUST change how you rendered the sand in the top of the hourglass. It makes no sense and looks totally wrong.
                Look at an actual hourglass (like a an illustrator would).

I'm looking at the type treatment and am wondering why you chose all lower case. You have one lonely descender in cross country--the y---maybe either do something with that, or try another type treatment.
                Why is "across the time" tracked out like that?

I'm with PD, is there a reason for the "the"??
                Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

That hourglass must be stock art from somewhere...
                  https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Succe.../dp/0578012251

Comment

Hi Woyta94 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X