Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question about defining "Creative Director"

Hey guys.
    Putting together a resume for the first time in years.

I have worked as a freelancer for the past six years. I have designed the brands for dozens, probably hundreds of companies.

Could I in theory say that I was the creative director on these projects? Or should I just stick with graphic designer?

In almost all cases I was working directly with the owner or their team on the original concepts and development of the logo/brand.

Just trying to figure out the best way to describe my role over the past 6 years in my resume.

Thanks!

Don't assert that you held the position of Creative Director unless an employer actually had you on the payroll with that title. The right way to express this is in bullet-points describing your achievements; "Provided creative direction..."

Originally posted by iyiyi View Post
    ...probably hundreds of companies.
    Don't include that.
    I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Originally posted by HotButton View Post
      Don't assert that you held the position of Creative Director unless an employer actually had you on the payroll with that title. The right way to express this is in bullet-points describing your achievements; "Provided creative direction..."

Don't include that.
      Thank you for the feedback!
      That's what I was thinking.

Comment

If I read that in a resume, I would be looking at the portfolio with a critical eye toward brand development.
        If all I see are logos, that would not be good for you.

Comment

A creative/art director is commonly a managerial role. You would be overseeing a team of other designers, or at the very least managing a company's art department. I wouldn't not use this terminology.

Also heed Print Driver's warning about portfolio diversity and pieces truly in respect of brand development, and not just logo's.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs097 View Post
            A creative/art director is commonly a managerial role. You would be overseeing a team of other designers, or at the very least managing a company's art department. I wouldn't not use this terminology.

Also heed Print Driver's warning about portfolio diversity and pieces truly in respect of brand development, and not just logo's.
            That's why I was asking.
            I've managed all creative/design brand development of many startups. But I understand that an employer might read that wrong if I put that I was the creative director for all of those companies.

Comment

As mentioned by Biggs097, a creative director is a managerial position inside a company or agency. It's typically the person who oversees and provides cohesive vision and strategy to the creative team of designers, copywriters, videographers, photographers, etc.

Comment

I'm glad you asked this, because I am wondering the same thing. My understanding was that Creative Director is the person who conceptualizes and directs the artistic vision, whereas an Art Director takes that vision and manages its execution, which could include managing an in-house team or freelancers. If it's a smaller company, they would do a lot of the work themselves. So, if a person has done both, wouldn't they be acting as the CD or AD?

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• seamas
                  Comment on Poster for a school project
                  seamas
                  I dunno, I think it is worse when the dead headliners DO show up.

Not very sexy imho
                  Yesterday, 05:18 PM
                • PrintDriver
                  Comment on Looking for the graphic designer of a certain graphic
                  PrintDriver
                  I'm a creature of necessity. A lot of times the end client will want an actual signed release and a real photo credit, so you have to attempt to find the artist.
                  Love doing image research for projects....
                  Yesterday, 05:10 PM
                • PrintDriver
                  Reply to Work from UK for an US company
                  PrintDriver
                  All I can suggest is consult a tax expert in the UK. If your company doesn't mind you moonlighting like this, maybe they could suggest someone for you.
                  Income is Income and the Gov always seems...
                  Yesterday, 05:05 PM
                • PrintDriver
                  Comment on Work from UK for an US company
                  PrintDriver
                  I do business with people in the UK a lot. Because the gig they hire us for is going to be in the US, they time shift their design staff so they are available during US Eastern Time. It's the only way...
                  Yesterday, 05:02 PM
                • PrintDriver
                  Comment on Poster for a school project
                  PrintDriver
                  Especially if the headliners aren't going to show up...
                  Yesterday, 04:55 PM
                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X