Car Design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Design

For first ,i want excuse my english if isn't very good. (i am from RO)
    Well ,i want to draw cars ,exactly do my own concepts.
    I want tips about how to draw better ,and if my current tehnique is a good one.
    This is my first step at drawing a car : http://imgur.com/a/F8THC
    From it ,this came out http://imgur.com/a/DMbM9
    And i did more cars. http://imgur.com/a/MFAEJ
    Well ,what i actually want is to see the car such an square.
    I do good? Should i still continue ? I am good at this or..my art is in vain?

Hi Seround and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

20+ views ,please can someone say something?
      KitchWitch when you told me about the rules ,my first thiking was "what have i done?". I readed them.

Comment

• KitchWitch
        KitchWitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Just like it says in my post: ''No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask everyone to read them.''

I don't know much about car design myself, but I'm guessing that it involves a bit more than being able to sketch cars.
      http://www.wikihow.com/Become-an-Automobile-Designer
      Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Originally posted by seround View Post
        20+ views ,please can someone say something?
        Heh. The activity levels can vary greatly from one hour to the next on this forum. Most of the regulars are graphics professionals with projects underway. Often a new post gets views without replies for one or more of several reasons:
        • Everyone is just too busy to reply right now, but someone will eventually post to the thread
        • The work examples posted are not accessible (this happens to me a lot; during the day, I often work in a clientís facility where imgur are many other hosting sites are blocked), so even though your post was viewed, your work wasnít
        • Your area of interest isnít widely shared among the forum population (Ďcar designí isnít something in which most forum members here would consider themselves well versed, or well-positioned to judge)
        • Your questioning may be vague or somewhat misplaced (Ďis this good?í is often a difficult question to answer in a brief reply; maybe I like what you posted or maybe I donít, personally, but if you didnít offer enough context with regard to why youíre doing it, or what it is meant to accomplish, then I canít judge whether it is, or would be, effective)
        I haven't seen your images, so I won't comment, but if you're patient, someone will react...

I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

One of my art teachers told me "We all have 10,000 bad drawings in us. Get those out of the way, then you will be ready to do your good ones."

You have a start. Now do a lot more. You might progress faster by drawing actual cars you see in real life, rather than trying to invent new designs. And draw them from different views and angles.

Comment

If you want to learn to draw, see if you can get a copy of Drawing on the Right side of the Brain.
            I realize you aren't in the US, but if you can get that book, it will teach you to ''see'' in the way an artist needs to see. You have the rudimentary skills already, at least in your sketching. I'm guessing you are using references, but at least you are seeing relationships and scale.

But like PanToshi's link points out, the pretty pictures part is not what car design is all about. It's about the engineering and the safety and all the mechanicals that have to function within that pretty skin you want to draw, as well as the aerodynamics science of the skin itself. There really isn't any need for an artist in the car design world. They all begin pretty much as engineers. It's really kind of rare for an engineer to be an artist or an artist to be an engineer. Different brain skills. Judging from the recent slew of really UGLY cars out there lately, I'd say they need some artists on the team.
            Seriously, BMW couldn't do better than this ugly thing?:
            http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...an_suv_on.html

You might also find that 3D skills in the programs listed in the link are more important in the long run, though I take exception to Rhino, if it is the same Rhino I learned a decade or so ago. Blech. Too low tech then. Go with Solidworks if you have to make a choice. With an engineering degree and Solidworks, you will find a job. Maybe not in car design, but the jobs are out there.
            Last edited by PrintDriver; 07-18-2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

You didn't come right out and say so, Seround, but I'm assuming you're young and exploring an interest in drawing, which is great. If you have an interest in cars, that's great too, but if you really want to get good at drawing, throw away the rulers and erasers and learn to see and draw what's around you instead of focusing on making up designs for automobiles. PrintDriver recommended a very good book that's all about learning to see and draw what's actually there. In some ways, it's like learning to draw like a small child does, which is more spontaneous and imaginative instead of focusing on precision, lines and symbols to represent objects.

Originally posted by PrintDriver
              There really isn't any need for an artist in the car design world. They all begin pretty much as engineers.
              One of my longstanding freelance gigs is helping with user interface/experience development for automotive design software. Today's automobiles are designed by teams of people with specific skills who interact closely with each other. There's software for everything from initial surface design conceptualization to final crash simulation and most every phase of what lies between. There most definitely are industrial designers on those teams whose job is to think primarily about aesthetics, but they do so with a good understanding of the realities of mechanical engineering.

A new automobile's design starts out with, of course, an identified sales niche for a particular vehicle, but after a decision is made to move forward, the next steps are typically artist sketches. The designs, of course, are constrained by engineering, safety, regulatory and monetary considerations, but there's a whole lot of aesthetic decisions to be made about the appearance of the automobile's surface configuration. A car that doesn't have showroom and highway appeal to its target audience doesn't sell, and many millions of dollars are wasted.

Different automobile companies have different philosophies on the mix between aesthetics and mechanical engineering. BMW, like you mentioned, is one company where the engineers dominate the company's culture.

Comment

You also have a Masters degree, right?

Off topic:
                I just got a new car and I wondered about the UI designer that thought up the...infotainment center...as they like to call it.
                My old car had a radio that I could feel the buttons and push the one I wanted even with winter gloves on. This new touch screen, even at a stop light it's 50/50 whether or not I hit the right tiny little touchscreen bar for the radio station I want. And if you slip you activate the scroll feature and get hopelessly stuck somewhere in the 30+ choices it gives you. The easiest thing to do is shut the damn thing off and turn it back on to get to the top tuning screen (no, Home doesn't work.) The thing runs about 6 screens deep for the radio speaker settings instead of the two ring knobs on the ''old-fashioned'' radio, and even deeper if you want your car to remind you when it hits a service interval, assuming you take the time to enter all that data. Knowing how fast you are going would be a good thing too. The speedometer is set off to the right side of the center console. It's so small and goes up to 160mph (who would approach that speed???) so the markings are so tiny you can't tell if you are doing 40 or 60. Luckily there is a display setting in the center console (where the speedometer should be) that will put a digital speed readout there - along with an annoying flashing yellow-to-green bar that tells you that every time you push the gas pedal you aren't being green. Things should not flash in a car unless something is about to blow up.
                And they say phones are a distraction?
                /rant

Comment

• B
                  B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I share those same feelings, which is one of the main reasons I haven't bought a new car in about 14 years. I'd really like to get a pickup (miss my old one), but they don't sell 4WD pickups any long without automatic transmissions, and I don't want an automatic. I also don't want the extended cab on the pickup (don't need it), but guess what, they don't make them any longer without the extended cab. As a result, I haven't bought one.

I also prefer regular manual dials on car radios, regular manual window handles and definitely prefer simplicity of function over the kinds of complex, distracting and unnecessary computerized interfaces they put in cars today.

Honestly, I don't know why they make them this way. To me, it's an antithesis of good design, where form follows function and less is more.

Hmm, i saw first ruler?
                I think if you want design car, u dont need it?

Just your free hand and it is...

Comment

"I do good? Should i still continue ? I am good at this or..my art is in vain?"
                  Hey you, it's good. DOn't be afraid. Keep it on!

Comment

Hi Heimerdinger and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Get a wacom tablet and watch some videos. there are plenty of concept channels in Utube.also you have to train your arm. the lines in your drawings looks not good.
                      Less is always more.
                      www.f5designstudio.com

Comment

Nice discussion, Thanks for discussed on valuable topic here

Comment

Hi Stiffenthomas and welcome to GDF.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                          Working...
                          X