Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does a good graphic design portfolio include?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does a good graphic design portfolio include?

i am a graphic designer and digital coloring artist too. Gonna make a portfolio but still confused what to include or not. Need some suggestions about this.
    Would also love to get assist by good graphic designers and do some work for them just to learn new trends and techniques not for making money.

Only showcase your best works, even if it means having fewer to display. Go for quality over quantity.

Comment

not for making money
      Why would you want to work for free?

A portfolio should include your best work.

What's a digital coloring artist?

A 'good graphic designer' isn't about teaching new trends, and certainly not about teaching new techniques. They are busy servicing their real world clients.That learning stuff is something you do on your own time through observation and practice.

Comment

Originally posted by brucebrown View Post
        Would also love to get assist by good graphic designers and do some work for them just to learn new trends...
        I've said this before, but designers should be trendsetters, not trend followers. This desire to be trendy among some beginning designers is misguided. It not only stifles that person's own creativity, it also guarantees the work will be outdated as soon as the trend fades and is replaced by the next one.

It's fine to be aware of trendy things and it's important to consider stylistic shifts that occur over decades. But it's detrimental to get caught up in the mentality of focusing on the latest trends and fashions just because other trend followers are doing so.

As for what should go in a portfolio, I agree with Macker that only your best work should be there -- even if it means a smaller than ideal portfolio. An art director reviewing your portfolio will always remember the worst piece and assume it's the most accurate representation of your abilities -- otherwise, you would have put something better in its place.

What kind of thing to put in your portfolio, however, depends on its purpose. If you're just putting it together to show friends and family your new hobby, well, put what you like in it. If you're trying to impress a creative director in a job interview, the portfolio needs to reflect your ability to contribute to that company's goals and objectives.

Comment

Hello

As per my experience and knowledge, here I have mentioned some tips related to portfolio

- Your goal should be to wow the viewer of your portfolio from start to finish. A great way to do this is by starting with one of your strongest designs so itís the first thing they see. If youíre going with an online portfolio, arrange your page/s so that your strongest example is readily available and catches their attention first. At the same time, you also want to save one of your top designs for the end as well.

- Don't think of your design portfolio simply as a collection of your art and design work. Recommendations and real-life case studies go a long way in showing how professionally capable you are. Ask a previous client or employer for a recommendation, and write up a short case study to accompany a project.

Comment

Hi Brucebrown and Hashsoftwares and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Glitchin
              Comment on Logo Feedback
              Glitchin
              I'm confused. This is one of your designs from your original post right? I meant if you could post an image of the logo the client liked, it might help. "They provided me a Logo they want it...
              Today, 03:24 PM
            • Glitchin
              Reply to Critique Please?
              Glitchin
              This is the latest version. I have thickened the CF and lowered the weight of the sound....
              Today, 02:58 PM
            • Glitchin
              Comment on Critique Please?
              Glitchin
              Hey thanks for the feedback.

I have tried what you're suggesting with shapes rather than lines, but it didn't work for me.

That's the challenge, making it looking like CF whilst...
              Today, 02:54 PM
            • PrintDriver
              Reply to Portfolio usage of work
              PrintDriver
              Nice article B, and illustrates my point about being an LLC or a sole proprietor. The LLC is a business entity separate from your personal life. With sole proprietorship, all of your belongings and assets...
              Today, 12:42 PM
            • B
              Reply to US Letter sized publications printed in European printing houses
              B
              Printers can trim to any size that's required. As a general rule, commercial offset printers don't print on already-trimmed paper stock. Instead they print multiple impressions on large sheets of paper...
              Today, 12:02 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X