Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am trashing my MacBook Pro and getting a Windows Laptop... help me.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am trashing my MacBook Pro and getting a Windows Laptop... help me.

Any suggestions for a laptop?

I have a 13" mid-2010 MacBook Pro but I am not happy with the MacBook options and am in the market for a PC.

I bought this one, the Samsung - Notebook 9 Pro 15" Touch-Screen Laptop with Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - AMD Radeon 540 - 256GB Solid State Drive.

It's great as a drawing surface for illustration but then it crashed when using Illustrator to render strokes. I'm returning this one.

You're returning a computer becuase it crashed when rendering strokes?

The only thing I caution when someone is going Mac > PC is that may mean some of your programs and fonts don't transfer.
    But the unit you bought should be able to handle quite a bit of Illustrator work - except the hard drive is too small. You should have at least a 500gig. 1TB or more is better.)

If the machine crashed on an Illustrator render, the first thing I'd check is hard drive scratch space. The second thing would be the number of points I was asking Illustrator to render. There is a limit.

Comment

Yes, my mid-2010 MacBook Pro had an issue rendering the strokes but it did it without AI crashing.

Comment

IMO, touchscreen on laptops is a gimmick. I have a 2015 15" MBP and a work-provided 15 1/2" Dell Precision M3800 Laptop with touchscreen. The touchscreen is more nuisance then help. Clients like to point to things on screen and the touchscreen kicks in. I will say, as far as PCs go, the Dell is a pretty good little laptop, but for design I don't see how useful touchscreen is.. Just my two cents. Better of getting a Wacom or a tablet if you are truly looking for a way of drawing or sketching with your PC. Heck, possibly even a Surface Pro where the touchscreen is more of a focus rather than a gimmick.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

All I'm saying that a 250gig hard drive is too small. Illustrator is a scratch hog, and with a lot of points and effects, a ram hog as well. I have a darn zippy production machine and it still bogs down with some Illustrator files. A few guassian blurs can ruin my whole afternoon.

Not to mention that most of the Adobe programs are currently unstable in some configuration or other. I have NEVER had to reload prefs as often as I have the last 2 years. But that's a different story.

Here are some helpful solutions as to why Illustrator may crash and burn on windows. It's an older post but this has been going on quite some time with CC.
          https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1000711

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PrintDriver
            Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
            PrintDriver
            Happy Thanksgiving to all!
            Just waiting for dinner to finish cooking. We are eating fashionably late this year. Mainly because the bird was larger than expected, but that 's ok.
            Lots of hooverdoovers...
            Today, 04:17 PM
          • PanToshi
            PanToshi
            Happy Thanksgiving!

Today, 01:20 PM
          • B
            B
            Happy Thanksgiving everyone (even to those of you outside the U.S.)!

As for turkey, I worked a summer job in a Norbest butter ball turkey processing plant before college, and haven't touched...
            Today, 12:57 PM
          • Arka-Software
            Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
            Arka-Software
            There are many software in the market which are using for vector pattern are:- 1) Inkscape 2) Xara Xtreme 3) Skencil 4) Scribus 5) VRR 6) CoceptDrow PRO 7) ZeusDraw 8) MagicTracer 9) Nodebox 10) Tgif
            Today, 12:46 PM
          • PrintDriver
            Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
            PrintDriver
            You want a program that is used to dealing with vector axis data. Photoshop would probably be inappropriate.

The only way I can think to do this is to have a script written for Illustrator...
            Today, 09:10 AM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X