Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for advice... How to wrap a geodesic dome?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice... How to wrap a geodesic dome?

Client wants to wrap a few of these with printed fabric. Somehow I need to set it all up in Photoshop or Illustrator without access to the dome. Any advice?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Small domes - Copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	21331
    Attached Files

Call the dome manufacturer and ask if they have a template. They might. They might even supply printed wraps.

But without access to the dome? As a printer, I wouldn't even touch that. Not the printing, nor the stitching. Not with a 10' pole.
    I don't even do simple 8x10 pillowcase popups without having the frame in hand.

If the dome manufacturer doesn't do custom covers, you could try giving Moss or Transformit a call with the dome's manufacturer's name and see if they recognize it. They are the leading tension fabric printers/builders in the Eastern US...there are others out there if you're not from this part of the world. If they do recognize it, they would have a template and would be able to guide you.

The template will be mind-bending. It'll be a CAD dxf or similar with the shape opened on one side and flattened. Best to print out a mockup with printed fold lines and assemble it to make sure your wrap is working.
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 08-02-2017, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Hi xi93ix and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
        Call the dome manufacturer and ask if they have a template. They might. They might even supply printed wraps.

But without access to the dome? As a printer, I wouldn't even touch that. Not the printing, nor the stitching. Not with a 10' pole.
        I don't even do simple 8x10 pillowcase popups without having the frame in hand.

If the dome manufacturer doesn't do custom covers, you could try giving Moss or Transformit a call with the dome's manufacturer's name and see if they recognize it. They are the leading tension fabric printers/builders in the Eastern US...there are others out there if you're not from this part of the world. If they do recognize it, they would have a template and would be able to guide you.

The template will be mind-bending. It'll be a CAD dxf or similar with the shape opened on one side and flattened. Best to print out a mockup with printed fold lines and assemble it to make sure your wrap is working.

I think the dome "manufacture" is a bunch of Dad's lol! Looks like PVC piping and zip ties. Although I did just find a site. Thanks for the idea! Your thoughts are pretty much my thoughts exactly, my client is reaching out to a 3D person to see if they can come up with a template but even then I can't image putting a design on it.

Thanks for the sanity check!

Comment

Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post
          Hi xi93ix and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
          Thanks for the welcome! Love your signature!

Comment

• KitchWitch
            KitchWitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Groovy.

Well, there is something you could try, but you wouldn't find a printer to do it unless they had one of these things in hand.
          You could pretend it is a half sphere rather than geodesic, and have the printer dye sub to spandex.
          It would take making a template in the spandex though. You'd have to do an orange-peel or beanie-cap type of stitching.
          You're talking some money here. At least 40 square feet of print per sphere if they are 5' across. Plus stitching bleed and bottom finish.
          Last edited by PrintDriver; 08-03-2017, 03:37 AM.

Comment

• xi93ix
            xi93ix commented
            Editing a comment
            That is pretty much my plan and the printer does have access to the dome(s). I was told it is being printed on fabric, but from pictures I've seen, it seems to be more like a spandex material. The joys of working remotely . Thanks for your feedback, I'll try to post a picture of the final product if I ever get one.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X