Graphic Design student looking for computer advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic Design student looking for computer advice

I'm in the second year of my Graphic Design degree at college and I'm at the point where I'm thinking about buying a computer to use whenever I'm not on campus.

I'm wanting to eventually get into Motion Graphics and/or web design. I know that these paths require stronger specs in the computer you use. My school uses Macs, and I enjoy them. However, I know that Macs aren't the superior platform anymore. If anything, both OS are equal in terms of running creative software. I also don't know if I can justify the price of Apple products in regard to their specs when I can get a Windows based pc for much less.

That being said, I have a few questions.

- As a student, do I absolutely NEED a laptop, or can I get by with a desktop? Desktops are much less expensive and provide more bang for your buck.
    - Mac or Windows: what is your opinion?
    - If I were to build a desktop Windows pc now and buy a Macbook Pro later on, would they be compatible with each other?
    - Do you have any recommendations on what specs I should look for, or what laptops are the best in the business?
    - I enjoy gaming in my free time. Are there any builds I should look at that would allow me to do both schoolwork and game?

Any and all advice would be extremely appreciated. I've been at the research game for a long time now, and I just can't seem to make a final decision. Thank you!

- As a student, do I absolutely NEED a laptop, or can I get by with a desktop? Desktops are much less expensive and provide more bang for your buck.
    As a student you don't have a need for a laptop. In two years you will no longer be a student. Will you buy a new laptop then if you need one to interface with the Real World of design?

- Mac or Windows: what is your opinion?
    This is a dead horse. Whatever system you pick should be the one you will enjoy maintaining. Be aware that some software only works on one platform or the other. Apple products are not as bullet proof as made out to be and Windows is not as simple to maintain. Each has its pluses and minuses.

- If I were to build a desktop Windows pc now and buy a Macbook Pro later on, would they be compatible with each other?
    Fonts are sometimes not compatible. Kerning pairs, tracking and word wrap issues can and do occur when crossing platforms. Again, not all programs are available for both OS systems and while Adobe crossovers are easy, crossing over a different software may require having two different licenses.

- Do you have any recommendations on what specs I should look for, or what laptops are the best in the business?
    For motion graphics, you want to get the largest hard drive you can afford (I'd recommend a Terabyte size drive), with as much ram as you can afford (16+gigs) and the fastest processor you can afford. I believe B here uses just a standard MacBook with ram maxed out without any issues. I use a Macbook when working from home for large format stuff without any issues either but I have a free and clear hard drive, not cluttered with junk.

- I enjoy gaming in my free time. Are there any builds I should look at that would allow me to do both schoolwork and game?
    Speaking of junk...
    Games, music, videos, kittycat downloads...all that junk takes up disk space and creates opportunities for ''glitch'' issues. For schoolwork and games sure. For Real World work, be very very sure if you use the same machine you work on to play games or surf iffy sites, that you back up externally religiously. Your livelihood depends on that machine working.

Comment

I've noticed some jobs require you have experience using Mac, I've seen this requirement made clear in several job postings throughout the years. As long as you've used Macs in school and know how they work , you should be good.

Personally, I would go PC route and definitely go desktop if you don't feel the need for a laptop. I'm not a specs pro but the more money you spend on your desktop tower the better specs you're going to get.

Well, as long as it's not Alienware, I've heard those are way overpriced. They do look cool though....

Comment

Hi Aaron and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Glitchin
          Reply to What kind and which book would it be wise to spend on?
          Glitchin
          Work for money design for love by David Airey and Know Your Onions: Graphic Design by Drew De Soto are good books for freelancers if your just starting out in the industry.

Also Pretty Much...
          Today, 03:55 PM
        • Glitchin
          Comment on Logo Feedback
          Glitchin
          I'm confused. This is one of your designs from your original post right? I meant if you could post an image of the logo the client liked, it might help. "They provided me a Logo they want it...
          Today, 03:24 PM
        • Glitchin
          Reply to Critique Please?
          Glitchin
          This is the latest version. I have thickened the CF and lowered the weight of the sound....
          Today, 02:58 PM
        • Glitchin
          Comment on Critique Please?
          Glitchin
          Hey thanks for the feedback.

I have tried what you're suggesting with shapes rather than lines, but it didn't work for me.

That's the challenge, making it looking like CF whilst...
          Today, 02:54 PM
        • PrintDriver
          Reply to Portfolio usage of work
          PrintDriver
          Nice article B, and illustrates my point about being an LLC or a sole proprietor. The LLC is a business entity separate from your personal life. With sole proprietorship, all of your belongings and assets...
          Today, 12:42 PM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X