Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you deal with rejection during the graphic design job search?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you deal with rejection during the graphic design job search?

Hey all,

I'm new here, but it's nice to have found a place full of people who are just as passionate about graphic design as me.

A little background info...I graduated a year early, May of 2016. I started working at an ad agency the December prior to this as a part time Designer, then began full time when I graduated. About a year and 9 months now I have been working there.

It's been my dream to move to Colorado, and that was my original post-graduation plan, but I decided to stick around my college town to get more experience before I try to go into a bigger market.

My question for you all, how do you deal with rejection after rejection during the job search? I have gotten a few bites here and there, but found after learning more about the company or interviewing with them that it just isn't a good fit. I would really love to work for an agency, but I guess I am just struggling with setting realistic expectations for myself.

I know confidence is key...but it's hard not to get down from time to time and feel like I'm not good enough and my portfolio is garbage. I've been trying to turn these negative emotions into something productive, but it can be challenging.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm considering posting my portfolio to get some feedback as well.

I think it's important to remember there are all kinds of reasons why someone gets or doesn't get a job that have almost nothing to do with ability or talent.

Quite often jobs are advertised because it's the company policy to do so, even though they're just going through the motions to pick the person they already have in mind. Equally often, the people doing the hiring have something very specific in mind and way too often, the people doing the hiring don't know much about the subject themselves and end up hiring the fastest talker or the best BSer. There are often more than a hundred designers applying for jobs, so even fantastic designers don't make the cut. The last person I hired was actually down a ways on the list of the talent we interviewed, but her particular production skills were a perfect fit for the job that we needed her to do.

I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't take job rejections personally, because there are dozens of different reasons for not getting jobs and you never know what they were. It might be disappointing but, letting it beat down your ego is not only counterproductive, it's illogical.

Comment

One piece of advice since it sounds like you're trying to get an out of state job, don't put your address on your resume and don't put it on the application unless you have to. Sometimes an out of state applicant is automatically disqualified.

Maybe if these companies thought you were in Colorado you would here from more of them. You could also use a family or friend's address out there if you have one.

Comment

Hi Courtney and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X