Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop advice

New here and first post.

I am looking for some feed back and any recommendations as to what to get for my new laptop. I am a graphic designer for a sall independent company and also do freelance work. I do a lot of illustrations, photo editing, flyers, logos, and such. My main programs are photoshop, illustrator and Indesign. For the past 7 years I have used a MacBook Pro 17 with a Wacom tablet. But I am sad to say my Mac is no mare than a paperweight now. So I need to replace it A.S.A.P. I have been looking at just going and getting a new MacBook Pro 15 as I am so familiar with Mac already. But on the other hand I have also been looking at the Microsoft Surface Book as I like the versatility of them. If anyone has any coments or recommendations it would be helpful.

Hi Wayniac1313 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

The first question I ask these days when a designer wants to change platforms...
      How big is your Mac OS font collection?
      A good part of that may not be transferable to a PC. Also, legacy files would have to be watched for word wrap changes.

Plugins you may have purchased won't work either.

With the current bloatware trend of Adobe, I'd look for something with a large hard drive (more than 500gigs) and 32gigs of ram.
      I don't know how old your dead laptop is, but most laptops these days do not have upgradeable ram in them. Opt for at least 16. More if you can afford it. It's soldered in before shipping and not customer friendly to work on at all.

Apple's current trend of ditching useful ports and recently changing their wonderfully clever magnetic power plug to something more likely to break are things to consider. With the Surface, really, how much do you intend to draw on the screen? (that might be a bias thing, I hate fingerprints on my work screen.)

Last edited by PrintDriver; 08-04-2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Though you are a mac user so you should stay on mac. MacBook Pro 15 will be better for you.

Comment

After reading all of the above suggestions, I like to add a few of my experiences, We used to do our entire design and rendering work on the laptops for the last 5 years. As per my calculations, your tasks are not much heavier than your because we are an entire Logo Designing Company Dubai as well as interior design and animation company, We were working on Dell XPS and HP Elite and envy since 2012 but in after few months, we faced much lagging and retarding in rendering of our images and designs. So we switched entirely to the Macs (PC n Laptops Both) but this didn't finish. As we were much troubled because affording dozens of macs isn't easy. Finally, We came up to Dell Precisions (Workstations Laptops) and Toshiba Satellite. by this, we were again on our pace better than before. I hereby recommend every designer not to waste his money on Mac or Other brands.
          Last edited by KitchWitch; 09-28-2017, 08:14 AM. Reason: removed link, no advertising

Comment

Take a look at these models https://pc4u.org/best-laptop-for-vid...photo-editing/

Comment

Originally posted by soren View Post
              That article lost its credibility with the following statements.
              Best Laptop for Video & Photo Editing 2017
              Generally, you should look for... one of 8GB or 16GB
              Editing video with 8GB of RAM. Um, nope. Even 16GB isn't adequate for editing high-definition 4K & 5K video. I'd definitely recommend 32GB if Photoshop and Premiere are running simultaneously.
              Last edited by B; 10-09-2017, 09:52 AM.

Comment

You can use Apple MacBook Pro for the desinging purpose. It is the best option to serve your purpose.

Comment

Why is it ''the best'' option?

Comment

Basically is a form of tradition to buy MacBook Pro. I think it is the better option because of its simplicity. You can use Thunderbolt 2 for large file transfers or connect to 4K monitors, you can transfer your work easily on your iPad, iPhone, etc. You can use Final Cut Pro and Apple Motion to your Adobe applications. Also, the operating system is really convenient.

Comment

Hi Inspo_jess and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I don't believe in following ''tradition'' when it comes to buying work tools. If I did, I'd still be setting lead type...

Thunderbolt is only as fast as the network it connects to. I can transfer files just as fast on any machine PC or Mac in the shop to any server in the shop in the blink of an eye (well longer with some of the gigawad files I deal with.) Outbound, you are only as good as your internet service, or worse, only as good as the guy's service on the receiving end. There are any number of services that interface with iStuff. Half our shop is on iPhones, the other half on something else. Doesn't matter.

Your best argument is Final Cut Pro. Assuming the OP is using it. Apple Motion probably not as much.
                        Im not up on which is better FCP or Adobe's Premier. If you already have a CC account, downloading Premier isn't an extra charge. It's part of the subscription.

Comment

surface would do.

Comment

Well, I would not mentioned any specific brand to you, but i would recommend you to purchase graphic machine whether is Dell, Lenova or HP, if you are graphic designers.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                            Working...
                            X