Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logo(redesign) need Help / Ideas / Suggestions / Feedback

Hy community
    I have big troubles to do a logo redesign and (furthermore) a new corporate design with this company Eigner:
    NOTE: Please write in response just COMPANY (or „E“igner) to avoid google search results.
    Please do not share on Social Media or any other platforms.
    Sorry for my lack of english
    my briefing:
    „please make us more elegant and sporty – we are a 70 year old company and we do car repairing we would like to present us in a modern and professional way. [in fact they are good and theire image is also very good]
    Facts:
    - target group: every person with a car...
    - staff: 12
    - private company
    - no logomanual and no CD existing
    at first the clients whishes:
    „We like our logo very much – please do not change the font - we think this is an elegant sign from a creative person – you can change some of he balks below... but please not to much“

my thoughts:
    • change the color order to the real CMYK
    • delete key-color (black)
    • delete sublogoline [Karosserie & Lack – because of theire good image regional people know what Eigner does]
    • bring handwirting logo closer and color it black (for the 4th CMYK color black) so that everything should get in a 3 x 3 cm rectangel
    • customize the handwirting font to baseline, X-Height, cap height...
    [thoughts approved from company ]

now we have a smaler handwriting logo in black (K) with 3 (CMY) colored balks... my plan is to resize the length of these balks like this:
    • Yello (the last one) longest
    • Cyan (the first one) longer
    • Magenta (the middle one) smallest
    so I have the 2 main colors for the corporate design... Yello and Cyan.
    [perfekt – the competitiors do not have these colors... I would like to use magenta for smaller things like icons, listing points...]

my (short) thoughts for future commercial:
    I would like to do positiv advertising: the normal way is that people have a problem (car accident) and searching for a car repairng shop. I would like to change the thoughts in their mind: this company can help me IF I have a problem. So I will show happy people, repaird cars... and less broken cars or „before – after“ pictures [also the textes will be positiv]

And at last: some profi typography tips? ^^
    I don’t identify this „Eigner“ font – I really tried (all) tools: Fontspring, Whatfontis, Myfonts, Fontsquirrl,... in my opinion these are the bests – but no results... any Ideas? Maybe some of you can recommend me a similar font? and what font would you mix up with this logo? I think of two opinion:
    1. If there is a beautiful similar font to the logo font I would like to take
    [INDENT=2]h1: (similar font)
    h2: sans-serif (black)
    h3: sans-serif (bold)
    p: sans serif [/INDENT]
    2. If there is no similar font than:
    [INDENT=2]h1: slap serif (bold)
    h2: slap serif
    h3: slap serif (kursiv)
    p: sans serif [/INDENT]
    for free font: sadly; I will take Lato (I like the charakter of the „S“ letter)
    for commercial font: I will chose one of these 3:
    FF Marselis / Slap
    FF Unit / Slap
    FF Sanuk

By the way i like the secont option with the first font marselis best
    I think this really goes with the logo font....

Now its your turn
    What do you think about:
    - my ideas about the logo redesign
    - the font mix options

I am looking forward to hear your opinions

PS: I read the very important links - and hope i have not done anything wrong...

Click image for larger version

Name:	_igner-redesign.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	21348

Hi n0bod1 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

You are worried about google searches and typed out the full sub logo line (K & L) yourself.
      Explain why you are using a print industry color standard (CMYK) to represent car repair?

Comment

Originally posted by n0bod1 View Post
        I have big troubles to do a logo redesign and (furthermore) a new corporate design with this company Eigner:
        NOTE: Please write in response just COMPANY (or „„E“igner) to avoid google search results.
        Please do not share on Social Media or any other platforms.
        In just three lines, you've spelled out their name and seem to have done exactly what they asked you not to do. I'm a moderator here, and can fix that for you if you want me to.

„We like our logo very much – please do not change the font - we think this is an elegant sign from a creative person – you can change some of he balks below... but please not to much“
        Which font and what is a balk? Are they referring to the script logotype or the line of type beneath that is set in Gill Sans? I suspect the logotype is more custom lettering than something that originated from compiled font, but I like the script, and I definitely wouldn't change it much (if any) since they've undoubtedly built up a good deal of brand equity using it.

my thoughts:
        • change the color order to the real CMYK
        • delete key-color (black)
        • delete sublogoline [Karosserie & Lack – because of theire good image regional people know what Eigner does]
        • bring handwirting logo closer and color it black (for the 4th CMYK color black) so that everything should get in a 3 x 3 cm rectangel
        • customize the handwirting font to baseline, X-Height, cap height...
        [thoughts approved from company ]

What do 4-color process inks have to do with automobile crash repairs? That color combination would make sense for a printing company, but I don't see how it relates to an automobile repair shop. Anyway, pure process colors are rather garish and made for four-color printing; they're not really a combination that is necessarily aesthetically pleasing. If they really do want CMYK for some unknown reason, I'd be inclined to keep their original colors (even though they're not accurate process colors). If they want the order of CMYK instead of YMCK, fine, but I still don't get how those colors relate to their business.

I also don't understand the relationship of the E*igner name to Kar0sserie & L@ck. Is it one long name or two separate things? I don't know if this would also confuse potential customers, but then again, I don't live in Austria. Maybe it all makes sense to people in Innsbruck.

In your version, you've dropped the Kar0sserie & L@ck. Even though I don't understand how the E*igner relates to those names, is this something the owners of the business would agree to? If it's an important part of their name or their branding & marketing, it would be a major decision to drop it. Visually, though, I do think both the color bar and the Kar0sserie & L@ck add clutter to the logo, and that it would be better without them. Personally, though, if only one of them could be removed, I'd remove the CMYK color bar.

A Google search turned up a photo of the business, and it looks as though they've already dropped the sub names and the color bar from the sign on the front of their building. The banners in front of the business still have both, but it seems they might be agreeable to dropping them, which is what I would do. Of course this leave nothing but a one-color logotype, which in my opinion, is fine. There are always ways of introducing color into various kinds of layouts (signs, ads, brochures, websites, etc.) without decorating up the logo itself.

now we have a smaler handwriting logo in black (K) with 3 (CMY) colored balks... my plan is to resize the length of these balks like this:
        • Yello (the last one) longest
        • Cyan (the first one) longer
        • Magenta (the middle one) smallest
        so I have the 2 main colors for the corporate design... Yello and Cyan.
        [perfekt – the competitiors do not have these colors... I would like to use magenta for smaller things like icons, listing points...]
        I'm interpreting "balk" as being the colored bars, right? As I've already mentioned I don't see the relevance the colors have to the business, so unless there is an actual purpose, I don't understand how making some longer, thinner, shorter, etc., makes the logo better. You're seemingly just juggling elements around for the sake of making things different without those changes really accomplishing much. If the colors have to stay, though, I do like your idea of using those colors for other things associated with the business, like you mentioned, icons, listing points, etc.

my (short) thoughts for future commercial:
        I would like to do positiv advertising: the normal way is that people have a problem (car accident) and searching for a car repairng shop. I would like to change the thoughts in their mind: this company can help me IF I have a problem. So I will show happy people, repaird cars... and less broken cars or „before – after“ pictures [also the textes will be positiv]
        Sounds logical, but it's a very obvious solution. Successfully making that approach work will involving doing it in a way that's different, interesting and memorable.

I don’t identify this „Eigner“ font – I really tried (all) tools: Fontspring, Whatfontis, Myfonts, Fontsquirrl,... in my opinion these are the bests – but no results... any Ideas? Maybe some of you can recommend me a similar font? and what font would you mix up with this logo? I think of two opinion:
        1. If there is a beautiful similar font to the logo font I would like to take
        for free font: sadly; I will take Lato (I like the charakter of the „S“ letter)
        for commercial font: I will chose one of these 3:
        FF Marselis / Slap
        FF Unit / Slap
        FF Sanuk
        I doubt there's a font that matches it. If it did start out as a typeface, the original designer almost certainly modified and refined it. Are you looking for a typeface to accompany the logotype -- sort of a corporate typeface, I assume. If so, I wouldn't choose a typeface that was similar to the logotype. For that matter, I'd pick a typeface that contrasted with it, and one that didn't draw attention to itself but still was somewhat distinctive. The typeface they're already using, Gill Sans, seems to work fine for this. The faces you listed, Marselis, Unit and Sanuk, are all just a bit too quirky and, in my opinion, might clash with the logotype. Lato is more generic, but I'm still not sure it's a good fit.

I agree with you that Marselis is a nice sans-serif typeface, and that it has qualities that in many ways are similar to the logotype. Even so, in my opinion, it's a face that has too much of its own personality and that its strong personality might compete with the logotype. Of course, I haven't experimented with it, so it might very well work.

Comment

balks = boxes.
          I kinda like the blue and red thing they have going on, on their building. The CMYK bar just does not go with any of that or their business.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Clinton78
            One off off-set lithographic Print?
            Clinton78
            Hi guys,

I have a situation where I need to commercially print illustrations that are coloured entirely in black. It's basically realistic aircraft illustrations and the aircraft are painted...
            Today, 11:11 AM
          • Craig B
            Reply to Style of Font
            Craig B
            To expand a little on what B said. Those monograms were hand created. They weren't just a font, and there's no software that will automatically squeeze them into a shape like that....
            Today, 11:00 AM
          • Craig B
            Reply to Vector art blurry when posted to social media!
            Craig B
            Not sure where you got those sizes. I would try this always up to date google doc with various social media pixel sizes.
            Today, 10:58 AM
          • PrintDriver
            Reply to What makes this ad. design awesome?
            PrintDriver
            As B noted in his 2nd post,

So without doing the research involved in creating an ''awesome'' ad campaign based on your needs, in your particular location, and one that works with your particular...
            Today, 10:30 AM
          • PrintDriver
            Reply to Portfolio usage of work
            PrintDriver
            The designer may own the rights to the design, but they may not own the copyright on any photos or copywriting used in the design or any trademarked logos. In cases where there is client supplied content,...
            Today, 10:22 AM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X