Custom Fonts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Fonts

I am a graphic designer and I am curious about what defines the term 'custom font'. I recently had a friend contact me to ask about a logo for his current company. He said that the logo was created with a custom font, but there are no files to use it as a working font for other projects.

Would this be considered a custom font or just a logo? I hope I'm phrasing my question correctly. If there is not a full font set, than I would just consider it a typographic logo, but I may be wrong. Thoughts?

You're right. Unless there's an entire typeface with a full set of glyphs that have been compiled into an actual font, what you've just described is custom lettering for a logo.

Most people (and many designers), it seems, think the word font is the name used for a bunch of letters that match. Instead, a font, in current computer nomenclature, is the file containing all the glyphs of a particular typeface variant, like Helvetica Bold or Myriad Light Italic.

Back in the days of handset type, a font was all the characters of a particular size of a typeface; the caps were kept in the upper drawer of the case, and the small letters were kept in the lower drawer of the case. Twelve-point Baskerville Bold Italic, for example, would have been a different font from 11pt Baskerville Bold Italic. Each point size even had a different name. For example, 4pt type was called Brilliant, 5.5pt type was called Agate, 8pt type was called Brevier, etc. More than you wanted to know, but...

Comment

Hi Grace and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
      Working...
      X