DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DPI & PPI???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DPI & PPI???

I know that these units are different (found it out after a google search) but what is the difference actually?? Does it matter????

This might help.
    http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...47-dpi-and-ppi
    Last edited by KitchWitch; 08-23-2017, 10:39 AM.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by Thug-D View Post
      Does it matter????
      As far as using the terms interchangeably, it seems to not matter to an awful lot of people, but they are indeed two different measurements.

Simple definitions:

PPI: Pixels Per Inch - the pixel density of a raster image

DPI: Dots Per Inch - the density or frequency of dots applied by a printing machine

Seeing as a raster image has no "dots," and a printer has no "pixels," the terms are surely not really interchangeable.
      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post
        Hmmm....the post there stating an image of 350 ppi will print at 350 dpi is false. The 2 measurements are not related at all; let alone directly proportionate.

A printing device is physically capable of a fixed number of dots per inch. Everything it prints, regardless of input resolution, prints at that dpi.
        I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

• HotButton
          HotButton commented
          Editing a comment
          No worries, Kitch. I wasn't challenging you as much as the assertion, which did surprise me a bit coming from ''Hank.'' (Then again, it is a pretty old post.)

• PrintDriver
          PrintDriver commented
          Editing a comment
          Some print machines have variable DPI. Most of the wide format machines have a draft mode (crap) somewhere around 300dpi, a Production mode (which is still garbage IMO) usually under 600dpi, a Fine Quality mode somewhere between 600 and 1200, and some of them have a slow-as-grass-growing Extra Fine mode 1200+. With direct to substrate printers, the number of passes involved (head travels) also affects DPI.
          Machines can also vary in their DPI in the head direction (cross media) and the feed direction (step direction.)

The thing about DPI is, if you are printing on a 1200+ wide format machine you DO NOT send an image at 1200ppi for output. That's about 6x of overkill. The human eye is incapable of separating 1200dpi into individual dots. I can tell a 600dpi print from a 1200 by eye, just from practice, but most people can't.
          Last edited by PrintDriver; 08-23-2017, 09:43 PM.

• B
          B commented
          Editing a comment
          I think Hank just made an error on this one. He seemingly understood what he was talking about and would go into all kinds of detail. Here's are a couple of examples: http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...tion-about-dpi and http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...n-and-printing

PPI = pixels per inch and applies to all digital applications of an image.
        Photoshop uses PPI. Your monitor uses PPI.

DPI refers to the number and size of actual ink droplets in digital printing or to the halftone dots in a line screen in conventional print. Dots per inch.

You can have an image that is 300ppi printed on a machine that uses 1200dpi. So you have 1200 dots of ink per linear inch representing in ink the 300 square pixels per linear inch in your image.

The higher the PPI of the image, the better it will be represented.

As far as Conventional print goes, I’ll let someone else explain the math behind LPI to DPI conversions for optimal print resolution… I only do wide format digital where that math doesn’t apply.

In wide format and image size of 150pp to 200ppi is standard, and 25ppi-100ppi can be considered optimal depending on media and viewing distance.
        DPI of a machine can range from 300 to 1800 depending on your need for quality. ConTone images done photographically are more like 3000dpi.

But again, remember, DPI is only how the pixels are printed. The more pixels per inch you have, generally the better the print will be. Almost all images are digital these days, no more film stripping. So those pixel blocks are what matters now.
        Too many pixels though, and you are wasting time, both yours and the machine Rip. Always check what is optimal for the output you will be doing.

Comment

Thanks to y'all for your help.

Comment

The term of dots per inch (D.P.I) and pixels per inch (P.P.I) both determine the resolution (or clarity) of a photo, they are not the very same thing. P.P.I means an amount of square pixels that shows in an inch of digital screen.And D.P.I means a printing term referring to the number of physical dots of ink on a printed page.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X