How to do this text effect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to do this text effect?

For the life of me I can't figure out how to do this. See attached screenshot.
    Thanks!

Well, it sort of depends on which application you're using, but in Illustrator, the bulge filter ( Effects > Warp > Bulge -- click the Horizontal radio button, and enter a negative horizontal Bend value ) works after converting the text to outlines. I'm using CS6 right now, and I'm not really familiar with whether or not this filter is standard for more recent versions of the application.

Comment

• HotButton
      HotButton commented
      Editing a comment
      It's still there in the current version, just as you describe.

Originally posted by B View Post
    Well, it sort of depends on which application you're using, but in Illustrator, the bulge filter ( Effects > Warp > Bulge -- click the Horizontal radio button, and enter a negative horizontal Bend value ) works after converting the text to outlines. I'm using CS6 right now, and I'm not really familiar with whether or not this filter is standard for more recent versions of the application.
    Thanks. I've tried a lot of things with the bulge effect and I can't get it to bulge on the top and the bottom like the example. Only one or the other. I'll keep playing around with it though. I have the newest version of Illustrator CC 2017

Comment

I figured it out for anyone who is curious. The bulge effect does not work to get the attached effect. You have to use envelope distort and create the shape.

Comment

Originally posted by iyiyi View Post
        Thanks. I've tried a lot of things with the bulge effect and I can't get it to bulge on the top and the bottom like the example. Only one or the other.
        Hmmm...are you sure you were using Bulge, and not one of the other effects?

I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Arc upper and Arc Lower set to the same value also work.
          But you have to outline your type first.

Comment

I can verify that Bulge and envelope distort work. Outline the font first. In this case I used Bebas Neue Bold which looks like the font used. I used bulge, and set it to -13% horizontal. Than after distorting it, I transformed the whole thing by "squishing it" horizontally and voila.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

You guys are right! Bulge works as well. Thanks so much!

Comment

outlining the font is not necessary. If you are happy with the result than you outline

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• B
                  Reply to What is Abstraction Art?
                  B
                  One question: why did you feel compelled to register and tell us this on your first post?

Unfortunately, you won't get a chance to answer since you copied your post from here: https://ww...
                  Today, 11:23 PM
                • La Mer Siren
                  Reply to Portfolio Design Critique
                  La Mer Siren
                  I love your ZD branding! Great colors and hierarchy. I would like to see more pieces similar to that. You might want to try a different color then gold for your IMMARISA piece. It looks a little washed...
                  Today, 07:40 PM
                • MikeTyler
                  Help with bitmap to vector conversion
                  MikeTyler
                  Hello all -

I just joined GDF and look forward to learning and sharing some knowledge. I am a hobbyist but have a technical background and hope someone can help me.

I have a...
                  Today, 06:29 PM
                • sacred888
                  What is Abstraction Art?
                  sacred888
                  What is Abstraction Art?
                  This Design/Artwork is Called Abstraction Art because Abstraction Art is art which indicates a departure from reality in the way art is represented. Abstraction Art is unconcerned...
                  Today, 05:40 PM
                • B
                  Reply to Creating Outline of Logo (Help!)
                  B
                  What do you mean by "set proportion?"

As for outlines, how did you create it? Ultimately, you really ought to draw it in vector format....
                  Today, 04:13 PM
                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X